« Planning »

Chapter 16

Planning

The term was officially over. Harry had woken up, and they had discussed their discoveries, though still couldn't make sense of them. 

The end-of-term feast wasn't so great, but at least the food was decent. Slytherin had been shoo-ins for the cup, but Dumbledore had awarded Harry and his friends just enough points to make Gryffindor the winners. Still loyal to his house after all these years. Go figure. 

They'd taken the train home, Miles and Harry in their respective compartments with their friends. Saying goodbye was a little sad, but Miles knew he'd find a way to see his friends over the summer, and he'd definitely invite them to his and Harry's birthday per usual. 

Once they'd gotten home though, Miles was pleasantly surprised to find that Harry's summer was looking to be a much better one than he was used to. Harry's room had been renovated while they were away, and Lily had apparently taken the time to add decoration. It was practically unrecognizable. 

James had gone out of his way to get Harry all sorts of Quidditch memorabilia for his room and even got something for Harry to hang his Nimbus 2000 up on the wall. He had new clothes, books, and everything Miles knew for a fact he'd wanted. 

Even their attitudes had changed towards their son. Harry was called downstairs for mealtimes, and the three of them spent most meals talking. James took Harry out into the backyard to practice Quidditch, and Lily would take him out to lunch and such. 

Ron and occasionally Hermione came over to spend time with him as well, so Harry needn't have worried about being lonely. It seemed things were finally looking up... for him. 

Miles hadn't known what to expect when coming home. Mum was the same, as Lily wouldn't treat him differently no matter what happened. James wasn't all too different either, but something was off. Yes, at mealtimes they would talk, but it often seemed as though James was silently willing Miles to keep quiet, to let Harry take the spotlight. 

When he took Harry out into the yard for Quidditch and Miles asked to join, he'd grudgingly accepted on Harry's request but made sure to have Miles do something different from what he and Harry were doing. They were still on decent terms he supposed, but it did seem that James was attempting to show Harry favoritism. Miles didn't mind. Harry of all people deserved to be in the spotlight. 

His lessons with Dumbledore had been continuing, and while Miles had insisted on Harry's joining them, the old man refused. Something about the title of the Boy Who Lived belonging to Miles, thus making him the only one with the ability to vanquish Voldemort. Utter rubbish, he thought, but what Dumbledore said seemed to go. 

This summer, it was less sharpening up his abilities and more about learning about Voldemort's history, given the events of the last year. Miles learned about his past, how Voldemort was born in an orphanage, and how his mother died during the process. How he'd always been somewhat ostracized by his peers, though it seemed that was the way he wanted it. 

Upon learning about Voldemort's time at Hogwarts, or at least the little Dumbledore was able to see, it struck Miles that he could learn a thing or two more, something that Dumbledore would never be able to access.

That was what brought him to his desk one evening, dipping his quill into his ink pot and setting it upon the piece of parchment he'd set on the desk decidedly. 

Dear Draco,

                       How's your summer? Yes, I know you've already guessed that I'm not writing to you just to ask that, but it is a valid question. It's been alright over here, my dad seems a little off-put by the whole Slytherin thing. Listen, if possible, may I request an audience with your father? Believe me, it's not my first choice, but it's urgent. I will explain why next time we see one another.