« Goodbyes »

Chapter 5

Goodbyes

The remaining days before Miles and Harry were set to board the Hogwarts express went by very quickly. Miles didn't mind. He loved his mum and dad of course, but he'd dreamt of going to Hogwarts ever since he was old enough to understand what it was. The stories that James, Sirius, and Remus had told him about their time at Hogwarts had only made him more excited, and he couldn't wait until he was there as well. 

But while going to Hogwarts was an exciting prospect, it brought on a dilemma. Miles wasn't sure what house he'd like to be in. James had told him that the sorting hat did take your choice into account, that being one of the reasons why Sirius had got into Gryffindor instead of the rest of his family, including Miles' grandmother. 

He felt drawn to Gryffindor, where he could make memories similar to his father and his friends. He'd heard great things about the Gryffindor common room, and Remus had drawn him a sketch of what he remembered of it. He also knew he'd have friends there. He wasn't sure about Harry, but if his brother did get into Gryffindor that would definitely be a bonus. He'd have Fred and George, and Ron, though he wasn't looking forward to having to bunk with the latter.

And yet, he also wanted to get into Slytherin. Yes, it had a bad reputation, and certain wizards had certainly shown how this was the case. But at the same time, it had produced good wizards as well. Merlin, for one, and his Uncle Regulus, whom James had described as, "One of the bravest people I've ever known." He had friends in Slytherin too, and the ones there comprised of the closest friends Miles had ever had. 

So, he was left with the two options. Gryffindor, to please his parents and godfathers, make memories he knew he would cherish, and enjoy the wonderful common room. Or, Slytherin, something he knew his parents, even James, would grudgingly support. Sirius and Remus would be supportive as well, because of Regulus' experience. He'd have his close friends in Slytherin, and honestly, for him, it seemed to be the best option. 

There was another factor as well though. The headmaster, Albus Dumbledore. He knew the old man would be pining for him to get into Gryffindor. Did he really care what Dumbledore thought though? It wasn't as though he could do anything, seeing as Miles was the Boy Who Lived, and whatever house he got into, he was still going to attend Hogwarts. 

He'd made his decision the night before he was set to leave for Hogwarts. Gryffindor may please his parents, and most certainly the headmaster. Yes, he could have several friends, though other than the twins, he doubted whether the rest in the house would want to be friends with him. He'd learned over the years that people seemed to think being friends with Miles Potter was much different than being friends with the Boy Who Lived.

But he knew that in Slytherin house, he'd get what he truly wanted from his Hogwarts experience. Professor McGonagall, or Minnie, had told him that his housemates would essentially be like his family. And he knew that if he wanted anyone to be like family, it was Draco, Theo, Daphne, Blaise, and Pansy.

He was going to spend his time at Hogwarts in Slytherin house, and no one was going to stop him.

After much waiting, it was finally the day. Harry got out of bed with a grin on his face, ecstatic that he was finally going to go to Hogwarts. He'd spent the night before tossing and turning, though he didn't mind. He'd been so excited about going to Hogwarts.

There, he wouldn't be treated any differently than anyone else. The state of his room compared to his brother's wouldn't matter, since they would all be in the same dorms, and everyone would have the same living areas. He'd finally be able to make friends and even spend time with them outside of classes. He'd be able to train and learn spells just like Miles, and Dumbledore wouldn't be able to stop him because he had every right to go to Hogwarts.