Chapter Twenty Three

DANIEL FINNIE, MARCH 2022, 13.42

John's mam and dad stood outside his door. 'I don't have a clue what to do Dan, it's been two months since he found out. He won't entertain anyone, he eats next to nothing. The only people he wants in the room are the cleaners, who I suspect are smuggling in booze for him. And he only allows the doctors in to top up his morphine.' She rubbed her face with her hands. When she dropped them her husband saw she was crying again. 'I just don't know what to do Dan.' She buried her head in his shoulder. 'I just don't know what to do.'

Dan stroked her hair. 'We must let him grieve in his own way Di. We did it seven years ago; it still hurts now. Remember the first few months? Remember the pain? Well, our son is going through that now, along with the fact he can't walk and has been in a coma for seventeen years. Can you imagine how messed up he's feeling right now?'

She shook her head even though it was still buried in his shoulder. Dan hugged her closer and she let loose, soaking his shirt with tears.

'Okay,' he said, 'so we let him grieve, we keep him comfortable, and we are still here when he needs us. He'll talk to us in his own time.'

Di looked up into his eyes. 'You've seen the CC television, yes?'

Dan nodded.

'What is he dreaming about?' she asked. 'How can he scream for so long?'

Dan shook his head. 'I don't know Di, I don't. It must have been god-awful being trapped in a coma like he was. Could he have known? I haven't a clue, but I tell you what, he'll have the best damn head doctors I can find. I promise.'

Di sniffed and rubbed her eyes. 'He keeps screaming 'remember me'. Why that? Why 'remember me'?'

'We'll get to the bottom of it. I promise Di. We'll make him better again.' Dan hugged her again, hoping his words were more convincing than his face was letting on.

SAMANTHA GRIMES, APRIL 2022, 16.45

Sam sat at the café table. She sat in the corner, not wanting anyone to see her, but wanting to view everyone else. A couple sat opposite each other to her left, obviously lovers. They flirted and laughed with each other, sharing the food they ordered and touching each other's hands often. She sighed, thinking of what could have been, thinking of what she had lost. Her eyes filled up and before she knew it a tear rolled down her cheek. She jumped when she heard the voice to her right.

'Been eating onions Sam?' said the voice.

She smiled at the rugged but handsome man standing above her. 'Hi Marty, thanks for coming.'

He kissed her on the cheek, passed her a napkin, and sat down. 'Anything for you Sam, you know that.'

Sam wiped her eyes, careful not to smudge her mascara. 'How's Jess?' she asked.

Marty raised his eyebrows. 'You know how it is Sam, the police get me working long hours at the moment, leaving Jess to look after the two boys.' He picked up the menu. 'She's pissed off. And I can't blame her one bit.'

'I must pop over,' said Sam. 'Maybe we could have a girly night out eh?'

Marty smiled. 'Yeah, I think she'd like that, I think she'd like that a lot. So what is it Sam, what do you want to see me about?'

Samantha took a deep breath. 'Well,' she said, but then the waitress stood by the table.

'Are you ready to order?' she asked in a bored tone and holding a small notebook.

Marty looked up. 'Yeah, two cappuccinos please.' He put the menu down. 'You want something to eat?' he asked. Samantha shook her head. 'And a B.L.T for me please,' he said.