Chapter Twenty Eight

'Priorities, it's all about priorities,' John said as he looked at the photo laid on his bed. Grimacing, he squatted down a little while holding onto the bed frame. At last he could hear the voices in the photos again, but that was it. No movement, no spiralling into the abyss, no vortex of terror--just voices.

Three days ago he'd realised he could hear them again, and after weeks of ruthless exercise, he was finally able to walk unaided to his bedroom door and back. Every hour he got up and completed ten squats, ten calf raises. The strength in his legs was returning, but this didn't help him with the Blink.

'What's changed?' He asked the photo. 'What's different?' For a few seconds he waited, as if for an answer, but none came. He cast his mind back to when he was little. 'What did I do different? Why did it change? When did the magic change?' He balled his fists in anger, but resisted the urge to swear. The gnawing pain in his stomach and mind was lessening with each day, he was getting over his pain killer addiction. The useless feeling he now had was getting him down, and he found his hand reaching out towards the pill tub on more than one occasion.

He lay on the bed, searching his now clear mind for the answer. 'When did it change?' Then he slapped himself on the forehead with the heel of his palm. 'John! You absolute Muppet! It was when you touched the album.' Some people said talking to oneself was a sign of insanity, but John had found the opposite to be true. Now that he was lucid, he found himself doing it more and more. Then again, some crazy shit had happened in his life since his childhood days. Maybe he had been crazy all along.

With determination he shuffled to the door but hesitated as he reached for the handle. He knew he had been a dick. In his memories it was as if he were listening to another person, he was sure he would never have talked like that if it hadn't been for Grimsol. With an apprehensive breath, he opened the door and made his way downstairs.

The sounds of Mam doing something in the kitchen twisted his guts with nervousness. Likely making him something to eat, he reasoned. Dad was in a video conference, chatting to seven people sat around a desk--sure looked important. John leant against the doorframe and watched his father put forth ideas of how to take the company to greater profitability. When at last his dad noticed him there, it was because all the board members had stopped talking and were staring at John. As if in slow motion, he turned his head. A smile grew on his face, and John remembered the day he had saved his dad's life.

'John!' Dad said as he walked forward. 'Son, you're standing... I mean you're walking. Oh my God, this is fantastic, this is--' He didn't get the words out, John ran-shuffled to him and clamped him into a bear hug.

'I'm sorry Dad,' he said, his voice choked with emotion. 'I'm so sorry...I've been a moron. I'm so...so sorry.' As John looked up, he saw his mam standing in the doorway, slack jawed. John beckoned her over, into the hug, and they stood sobbing together until enthusiastic applause from Dad's computer broke the high emotion in the room and brought smiles to everyone's faces.

Dad turned to the large tele screen as if embarrassed by the show of affection. 'Thank you, everyone.' He patted John's shoulder, squeezed Mam's hand. 'I need to finish off here, guys,' he started to explain to Mam and John, but the CEO interrupted from the television screen. 'Nonsense, Dan. It's been years. This is a big breakthrough for your family. Take the day. We'll call you in the AM.' A tear came into Dad's eyes, and he said, 'Thank you--' but his board had disconnected from their end. 'Cup of tea anyone?' he asked.

'I'd love one, Dad,' John said as he plonked himself down on a rather comfy sofa. Mam sat down beside him and grabbed his hand. 'When did you start walking, John?'

'Three or four days ago Ma, I'm so sorry for all...'

She put her hand up and shook her head. 'What's done is done John; it's so good to have you back. Your eyes look clear, and your face isn't so gaunt anymore either. Maybe shave the beard when you have a chance, eh?'