Chapter 22

Emerin POV~

Legolas was standing amongst the other elves a few yards away from me, with Gimli at his side. I had tracked down Edorim, and brought him to stand beside me where I could keep an eye on him. Thunder rumbled in the sky and rain trickled down, becoming heavier and heavier by the minute. I could see the army of Uruk-hai marching towards Helms Deep. I looked down at Edorim, his face robbed of all color,

"Don't worry. I will watch over you. Do not let fear cloud your heart. You are strong, Edorim." I mustered all the strength I had, trying to pass some of it on to the little boy who stood beside me.

"I will try my best, My Lady." His voice wavered. Now I could hear the Uruks nasty voices growling and roaring into the stormy night. I noticed Legolas stealing a glance at me worriedly. I waited. Commands were being shouted all over the fortress. I raised my bow and knocked an arrow, aiming it at one of the larger orcs. I saw an arrow wiz past the barrier and hit an orc. However, I had not heard any commands ordering us to shoot. An orc lay dead. At this, the Uruks began to chant battle cries, and charged towards us. 

"Fire!" I heard Aragorn cry out. I allowed my arrow to fly through the dark, striking an orc in the neck.  I continued to fire arrows. I struck down multiple orcs. I realized that they were bringing ladders up our walls. I tried to cut down as many as possible, killing the orcs that climbed them. But many were able to get into the fortress. I put away my bow and drew my heavy sword. I noticed Edorim do the same. I killed all the orcs around me, switching between my daggers and sword. I eventually pulled out my bow again and began to shoot wildly at the creatures that kept coming. I noticed Edorim killing a few orcs, using the techniques that I had showed him. He had killed a good amount of Uruks. I continued to slice through my enemies. I decided to use my daggers for now, since I was more accustomed to them. I had killed around 28 orcs by now. 

As I swiftly moved through the space, I noticed an orc running with a torch in hand. His path was cleared of other orcs, and it was nearing the gate fast. 

"Bring him down! Legolas, Emerin! Bring him down!" I heard Aragorn cry. Legolas shot at him multiple times, as did I. It was no use. He continued to run. I noticed that almost directly above where the orc was targeting, was Edorim. I realized that I only had moments to get to him. I shoved my way past orcs. Running as fast as my feet could carry me. 

The orc reached his target. 

I reached Edorim. 

A moment of pure silence.

 I wrapped my arms around the small boy. 

Then everything was blown into the sky.

I could feel myself flying in the air, with Edorim wrapped up in my arms. I tried to shield him as much as possible as rocks and debris flew past us. We reached the ground. I could feel my entire body aching. I released Edorim. He was unscathed. I noticed a few gashes and burns along my hip, arms, and legs. I could feel raw flesh on my back as well. I would have to inspect it later. I pulled myself off of the ground. Edorim also stood up. Orcs charged towards us with incredible speed as I moved to shield Edorim with my body. I realized that I had lost my sword. I drew my bow and began to shoot down orcs,

36... 37... 38... I counted in my head.

When there were no more orcs surrounding me, I grabbed Edorims arm and pulled him towards the keep.

"To the keep!" I heard people barking orders at each other. I ran and ran, dragging the poor boy with me. I finally reached the keep, and was able to sit down. The door was about to be broken down. Soldiers tried to reinforce it. I sat there, catching my breath.