Getting Out of the Factory

It's not long before we find ourselves hiding in the ladies' toilets. 'We can at least catch our breath, and we'll be safe for a while,' Maria says, then turns to Luke. 'It's the one place men never go. Sorry for dragging you into the ladies.'
'Why do men never go into the ladies?' Luke asks.
'Er...'
'It's our culture,' Catalina says. 'Men and women are biologically different, so it makes sense that their toilets are separate in public and workplaces.'
'I see, I think.' We hear the door open and dive into one of the cubicles.

The door opens, and we all stare in surprise. Mum and Mummy are standing there. 'What are you lot doing here?' Mummy asks, shocked.
'We could ask you the same!' Maria yells back.
'Who's he?' Mum asks, her brow creasing in worry. She takes in what Luke's wearing.
'My name is Luke. Emma found me during one of the tours in the factory.'
'We think they made him, but we don't know why,' I explain.
'What have they done to you?' Mummy asks, concern filling her eyes.
'I knew I had to get away,' Luke says.
'That goes for all of us.' Mummy looks around, then her eyes land on a window. 'Ruby, open the window! Come on, everyone.'

Mum opens the window, and we all climb out into the car park, where Maggie, Bessie, Joan, and Rocky are waiting for us. Mummy's car is also there. 'Get into the car,' Mummy says.
'We can't all fit!' Luke says.
'It's bigger on the inside,' Anne yells back, and we start climbing in.
'But my friend's in there!' Maria cries. 'Sure, I only met her this morning, but I can't just leave her there.'
'The bus is gone,' I growl. 'Maybe Hooper was on the bus.'
'I can't just leave her!'

Mummy uncaps her sonic lipstick and blasts it at the closing gates as the rest of us climb into the car and strap ourselves in. 'What's that thing?' Maria asks.
'Sonic lipstick. Now get in.'
'Search the perimeter,' we hear a woman bark.
'MOVE!' Mummy yells, and she and Maria bundle into the car.
'Retrieve the archetype,' I hear the man say as the doors close. Mummy presses her foot on the gas, and we zoom out the gates.

'Is that what they call you?' I ask Luke, horrified.
'I don't know. I never heard them call me anything. But you and your friends call me Luke, so that's the name I want to use.'

'Mum, Mummy, they know what I am. My bracelet stopped working just before I went through the security scan.'
'At least we know they won't tell the authorities,' Mummy says. 'Not if they're aliens themselves.'

We head back home, and Maria starts asking questions. 'I think we better answer them,' Catalina says. 'She's a fellow lady-in-waiting.'
'I saw you last night,' Maria says when it's clear that Mum and Mummy ignore her. They stop walking.
'What did you say?' Mummy asks, turning to Maria. Her eyes are wide, and she looks stunned.
'She saw us last night, with the Star Poet,' I say. 'And I think she deserves answers.'
'You do?' I nod.
'She at least deserves to know about what's going on at the factory.'
'Emma, the more people we get involved with, the more lives at risk.'
'Humans are at risk each time aliens try and invade or destroy Earth. How is this any different?'
'It's different because someone is getting directly involved.'

Mum sighs. 'Can you two please stop arguing? I'm with Sarah Jane on this one. The fewer people we get involved, the safer it is for everyone.'
'Maria, you need to go back home,' Mummy says. 'You must forget all about this, about us. Forget it all for your own sake.' Mummy turns back to us, and she, Mum, and Luke head inside. The ladies-in-waiting follow them. Maria turns and runs back to her house.

We all head into the living room. Mum and Jane disappear into the kitchen to get some food and drinks. 'No Bubbleshock!' Catalina calls to them.
'We don't have any. Don't you remember how Ruby reacted?' Jane shouts back.

'Emma, the Queens, and the ladies-in-waiting must have taught you to talk,' Sarah Jane tells Luke. We all sit down when Mum and Jane walk through.
'Emma visited me multiple times before today,' Luke says. 'The others were there a couple of times, but I haven't seen Maria until today.'
'She moved yesterday,' Maggie says.
'You must have a home,' Sarah Jane says. Luke looks around the room.
'Is this your home?'
'Yes, it is,' Mum nods. 'Anne, Jane, Rocky, and Maggie live with us.'
'But they're Emma's friends.'
'Anne and I were kicked out because we weren't straight,' Jane says. 'Rocky and Maggie moved in as their parents disappeared.'
'I haven't told Luke about sexualities yet, so he won't understand,' I tell Jane gently.
'None of us understood it until you explained it to us,' Anne says. 'You are a great friend to have. You understand us.'
'Even though I'm nowhere near five hundred years old?'
'Especially then,' Kitty confirms.