March 1998

March 1998

I thought I would include the age of each of the wives. It will consist of their actual age and the age they pose as in the chapter. Emma is the only one to have a mental age, as all the other queens have the same mental age throughout.

Catalina of Aragon- 16th December 1485- 512 years old, looks four years old.

Anne Boleyn- 2nd April 1501- 496 years old, looks four years old.

Jane Seymour- 2nd April 1508- 489 years old, looks four years old.

Anna of Cleves- 22nd September 1515- 482 years old, looks four years old.

Katheryn Howard- 14th February 1524- 473 years old, looks four years old.

Emma Smith-White- 24th December 1993- four years old, looks four years old, mental age seven years old.

The queens must look like they are ageing up with Emma for it to fit with the story.

'It will be fun if we start learning new languages,' Anne says. 'Ce sera une aventure.'
'Pardon?' I ask.
'Oh, you don't know any of the languages we speak!' Lina says. 'We better start teaching you.'
'Maybe we should buy exercise books, one for each language,' Jane suggests. 'Even after living with you lot for four hundred years, I still find myself stumped at the basics.'
'Let's do that,' Anne nods. 'We can customise our books as they are not proper schoolbooks.'
'Maybe we should try buying in bulk, so we don't run out anytime soon,' Anna suggests.

Each of my friends is wearing the same colours that I saw them in when I first met them. Lina is wearing a yellow dress, a black cardigan and a pair of black patent shoes to match. Anne is wearing a green t-shirt with a horse on the front, black trousers and green trainers. To my surprise, Jane is wearing a white t-shirt with silver sequins sewn into the shape of a cat, black trousers and black shoes that have a small heel underneath. Anna is wearing a red t-shirt and shorts, something that surprises me still even though I know she doesn't feel the cold. Kitty is wearing a pink dress and black cardigan with pink shoes. We all begin talking about the three languages Lina, Anne and Anna will teach us: Spanish, French and German.

'We can try to get exercise books that match our colours,' Anna suggests. 'How can we pose it to our parents?'
'What do you mean?' Kitty asks.
'I'm thinking more about Emma, we don't know much about her parents nor if they would agree to the lessons.'
'I'm sure my mums will agree,' I say. Now, I must wait until I get home to ask them.

'Come on, let's play house,' Jane says.
'You always want to play house,' Anne moans. 'Can't we play something different?'
'I like playing house,' Kitty says.
'That's because you're always the baby! I am the mad aunt.'
'I have a mad great-aunt,' I say.
'Not that helpful.'
'I agree with Anne,' Anna says. 'Let's do something a little more entertaining.'
'What do you want to play then?' Jane asks, folding her arms. We begin thinking about different games we could play, and we start laughing about some of the things we come up with during those minutes.

We give up after a while and decide to do something else. 'Let's read a book,' Anne says.
'I've brought a book with me,' Anna says, holding it up.
'Is that in German?' I ask.
'You've got a good eye, Emma.'
'You'll have to tell us a translation. I've got a book as well.' I pull out one I randomly picked out that morning- and it's the alien one. 'Sorry, forget about that.' I stuff it back in my bag, slightly embarrassed by what happened.
'I have a French book for beginners,' Anne says. 'That could be easier than the German book.'
'Oh, you wish!' Lina yells. The other toddlers begin staring at us.

'Girls, can you please keep it down?' Miss Waterfield asks. We nod and begin whispering about what book to choose.
'I've got a book on Spanish military history,' Lina says.
'That's so cool!' Jane says, even I nod.
'I'm a sucker for history.'
'Please, not history!' Anne moans. 'I don't like it.'
'I know you don't; when I tried to learn about something other than the Six Wives of Henry VIII, you bailed. Everyone else helped me try to find something different to obsess over.'