2nd Year Correspondence - part 1

"Their violence was petty and ignorant, but ultimately, it was true to who they were. The real violence, the violence I realised was unforgivable, is the violence we do to ourselves." - Sense8, Nomi Marks

September 1992

"Dear Harry,

You should trust us when we claim to understand your eagerness to get to Hogwarts, however you should have been more careful. Muggles landing their eyes on a flying car could have cost you a lot more than a few detentions and I expected you to know better. In spite of that I hope you are well.

Have a good year and good luck with your detentions, I hope they are not with Severus.

Much love,

Remus."

*

"Hello lad,

You should ignore everything Moony wrote, we did much worse things when we were at school, getting caught in a flying car doesn't even compare. I hope you had fun though.

Don't worry about the detentions either, we had plenty of those too. Have fun and don't forget to mess with the Slytherins whenever you get the chance.

I still can't believe I couldn't take you to the station this year, but I've checked the calendar for next September and we are all set. Do you think I should help Arthur fix the invisibility charm in his car?

Wishing you treacle tarts and golden snitches,

Sirius"

*

"Dear Moony and Padfoot,

I've been having detention with Professor Lockheart and I'd much prefer scrubbing cauldrons, I think that if his ego was any bigger it wouldn't fit inside the school. He's also not a great wizard, I'm yet to see him pull off one proper spell. I could get so many people fancying him if he didn't have flobberworms for brains.

There is this first year Gryffindor named Colin Creevey who keeps asking me for a picture and an autograph which has been super weird.

Mrs. Weasley sent Ron a Howler about the car and now he has to deal with that on top of having a broken wand and I feel bad, his little sister, Ginny was super embarrassed too (Mrs. Weasley used the letter to congratulate her on getting into Gryffindor).

Sirius, about your question, I'd say yes, but the car seems to have a life of its own now and it drove into the Forbidden Forest.

Love,

Harry."

*

"Hello cub,

I'm glad the car is gone, you wouldn't believe the amount of times I tried to convince Sirius that his own magical invention was a bad idea.

This Creevey kid sounds like a funny lad and unfortunately nothing about Lockheart is really a surprise, sounds just like how we remember him from school, I think he used to fancy James. Sirius reckons you should prank him, but I think it's a terrible idea, he is your professor.

Howlers are quite embarrassing, but you'll probably laugh about it in a few months.

Love,

Remus and Sirius."

*

"Dear Remus,