Chapter 2: Base Camp

Transportation to the town of Westview was offered by S.W.O.R.D., but Cynthia knew there were better and much more convenient ways to get to this claimed anomaly. Before she left Hayward's presence, she could sense his deception and she cursed that her mind-reading had not fully developed yet. She needed to know what he was hiding, but she also needed to investigate all this. It had been three weeks since the confrontation with Thanos and Cynthia had remained out of sight for the most part. While she was happy to have everyone back and that the world was safe, she needed some time to herself. She also wasn't sure what the government might force her to do if she stayed too much longer. She resented everything that had happened from the Accords to the shattering of the team. The scar was still there... she'd told them what would happen, and no one listened. Plus, trying to fix the Snap for the past 5 years had taken its toll on her mind and body.

She'd disappeared to the mountains for a little while, conjuring up a small cabin to stay in. She was relaxing and also training. Despite her vast knowledge and intuition of many things that made her seem wise beyond her years, her body aged much slower than that of normal humans, which unfortunately meant her powers were undeveloped and unpredictable. Away from human contact allowed her to focus and to continue honing her skills.

Sadly, the peace did not last long as she began to have new visions taking the form of nightmares. The cycle was just repeating itself. She'd wake up crying and screaming, feeling someone's pain and agony, but she wasn't sure whose it was. It kept her up all night and left Cynthia like she always seemed to be, shattered and haunted.

Sometimes being an Avenger... trainee was a curse rather than a privilege.

She then saw a vision of something red expanding and consuming many people, many of them whom she knew. She then saw the military and their need for answers, and that they would contact her. In spite of it all, she gave her information to a trusted government official, and sure enough, she had been called.

Cynthia teleported with ease down to this place in New Jersey, walking through a portal of her own creation. She approaches the beginnings of military encampment being set up not too far outside the town line. She walks toward the entrance, only to be stopped by several soldiers, armed and glaring at this person.

"Identification please," one soldier says.

"Authorized S.W.O.R.D. agents only," the second adds.

The woman smirks as she can sense the superiority radiating from these people, so much like Hayward. All humans seem to be the same... at least in the high-ranking military.

Instead of pointing it out, Cynthia pulls out the S.W.O.R.D. badge on a lanyard that Hayward had gifted her before she had left the base in Florida.

"Is Director Hayward expecting you?" one of the men asks.

"I just met with him yesterday and he will be here by helicopter within the next few hours," Cynthia answered. "He offered me transportation, but I decided to walk."

The young woman smirks at the soldiers' confusion.

Cynthia then pulls the Avengers badge she'd kept for such a long time and shows it to the people on duty.

Their eyes go wide.

"You're... one of the Avengers," the other soldier gasps in shock.

"Trainee," she answers justly.

"Come this way," the first uniformed officer says.

Stepping into the busy and constantly expanding base camp with unmarked SUVs, armoured trucks and utility vehicles, carts and dollies carrying equipment, the technology of all kinds being loaded into tents, and weapons galore. There were also a vast amount of people racing around doing their duties. From scientists to foot soldiers, everyone seemed to have a purpose in preparation for something.

Seems so unnecessary, the Avenger thinks to herself. When you don't know anything in the first place.

However, when the strange and sometimes seemingly glowing individual now walking through the camp and not dressed like everyone else, things seemed to stop or slow down. Curious eyes began to stare in confusion as to why she was here. Cynthia's alluring looks also caught the eyes of many of the males on base, they stared at her far too long, leering as if in delight at her appearance.

Even if she could easily send these creeps packing, the young woman stays poised and ignores everything else.

She really should just be going and figuring out what happened on her own. She had a strong dislike for regulations, especially by people who thought they were in charge and could control things that were far beyond their understanding.

The soldiers led the woman into what appeared to be the main tent, packed high with equipment, including holographic technology, reminiscent of the Stark Industries' tech that existed in the Avengers Base.

"Avenger on site," the soldier announces aloud.

"Trainee," she corrects.

This draws everyone's attention in the tent and eyes and heads turn as if a spotlight had been shone on the woman.

One man, a bit shorter in stature and having FBI on the back of his jacket instead of S.W.O.R.D turns.

He looks at the woman, likely trying to place her in his memories, as he was friends with another Avenger, but is unsuccessful. Instead, he performs a quick sleight of hand trick with playing cards for the new arrival.

A/N: Please follow and review