Chapter 8

(Izuku's POV)
We were all sat around a table in the base, plotting our next move. A few more villains had joined us in the last week since the warehouse attack - more skilled, and therefore higher ranking.

Firstly, there was Dabi; it was not his real name. The fact that his face still looked symmetrical even with all the scars amazed me. I desperately wanted to ask him about it, but he was so intimidating that I could barely make eye contact. Honestly, I would bet money on the assumption that he had killed at least 20 people.

Next was Toga. Unlike Dabi, she was a confirmed serial killer (emphasis on confirmed). What can I say other than that always weirdly happy face of hers gave me the heebie-jeebies. Anyway, moving on.

There was Magne. I quite liked her, she seemed nice for a villain, really buff too. Cool quirk.

Then there was Twice and Spinner. What can I say other than the fact that they looked super serious on the outside, but were actually pretty goofy once they opened up a little.

Lastly was Mr. Compress, he was an ex-performer or so he told us. He spoke quite fancily for a criminal and had lots of fun stories to tell.

Shigaraki, Kurogiri and a TV often referred to as 'Master' were also at the table with us. Although most members of the League more or less liked me, I was the youngest there and it made me feel powerless.

I say 'most' because I had been too scared to even talk to Dabi or Toga - the only members remotely close to my age. The only time I'd actually looked them in the eye and said anything was when we first met 5 days ago, and even then it was just a quick 'hi, I'm Izuku Midoriya, pleasure to meet you' and all that. To put it nicely, these guys made my anxiety go through the roof.

After our little meeting, we decided that our next job would be a little smaller and not revolving around heroes or UA. Apparently, there was a group of 4 or 5 petty criminals who liked to cause trouble in the local neighbourhood who, in Shigaraki's words, were 'being loud and annoying' so that he 'couldn't concentrate on his video games'. How childish.

He wanted to send a group of us, but not too many. So guess who had to go? Only me and the two people who make my skin crawl. I hated this, but I couldn't show weakness. Not now.

"H-hey, Shigaraki? About the mission-" I started as he cut me off.

"You're going," he insisted, barely looking at me as he did so. I guess I had to come up with a half decent excuse.

"But... uh, my quirk might be too much for this situation. Don't you think we should save it for something bigger?" I replied. He stayed quiet for a bit, contemplating.

"If I may, Tomura," Kurogiri interrupted, "we have a few weapons for the boy to use instead of his quirk. Have a look." He opened a cupboard next to the liquor cabinet.

Inside I could see a collection of of knives, some handguns, and even a metal baseball bat crusted with old blood. This was good, I thought, a little extra protection from the freaks.

"Thank you, Kurogiri. You just restored my faith in this mission." I smiled faintly and retrieved a loaded handgun, several knives of varying sizes, and the bat for good measure.

That night, it was time to act. We managed to track the criminals to an abandoned church a few blocks away. I can only assume that they were living there very much illegally.

Me, Dabi and Toga walked towards the location, hiding in the shadows most of the way. Toga and I were the only ones with weapons, although I practically brought an arsenal compared to her single, small blade.

I had hidden a knife in each sleeve and strapped one to each shin. Not to mention the switchblade in my right pocket. I also had the handgun in a side holster to my left, along with the bat being carried on my back. I was going to be prepared for anything.

When we got there, we loudly swung open the church doors, announcing our presence immediately. However, Dabi and Toga were both ready.

Toga energetically dodged the attacks from a single armed man, whilst Dabi burnt two scrawny criminals to a crisp in the corner. The closer I looked, the more convinced I was that Dabi's grimace and watery eyes were not from excitement, rather from pain.

Does his quirk... hurt him? Is that why he has those scars?

My vision was soon blurred as I was pinned down by the fourth in the gang. For a moment I struggled, but I was able to use my knee to get him where it really hurts. He rolled off me onto his back, hands over his crotch, and I stomped on his stomach. Hard. But we needed these guys dead, not crying for their mothers. So I pulled out my metal bat and hit him in the head. Again, and again, and again. It was only after Toga called out my name that I came back to reality.

"Izuku? I think that guy's pretty dead, you can stop now," she said, mild concern in her upbeat voice.

"Huh? What?" I looked down to see a mixed mush of skull fragments, teeth and bloody brain matter. "Oh, s-sorry. I must've gotten carried away," I replied, standing straight and rubbing the back of my neck bashfully.

"I understand. All this blood is a little hypnotic, right?" she smiled.

That's not what I was thinking exactly, but now you mention it...

"Y-yeah, I guess so," I murmured absentmindedly.

Dabi gave us both a look as if to say 'crazy bastards' and rolled his eyes. We left after that, unbothered by the bloody splatters and charred marks on each of us.

On the way back when Toga wasn't paying attention (preoccupied by roadkill or something), I leaned towards Dabi and whispered to him.

"My quirk hurts me too. I'm sorry you had to go through all that pain. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone." He looked slightly alarmed, but then resumed his regular blank expression.

"Thanks, kid," he whispered back.

I think it's safe to say that I'm not scared of these guys anymore.