Chapter 13

(Izuku's POV)
We drove around in loops and circles, likely to confuse my sense of direction so I couldn't tell where I was. When we got there, I was roughly shoved into a windowless, concrete room and my blindfold was removed.

The blinding lights hit my eyes with their crude, yellow-tinged glow and I blinked until I got used to their glare. I realised that the room I was in was empty, save for a rusty bucket in one corner.

The door opposite me was mad wig heavy steel and had a hatch at the bottom for things to be passed to me if needed. It was clear that I was the first person to be imprisoned here in a while.

I looked up to see a spider in the corner, sat in the middle of its web like a throne. I had nothing better to do and I was feeling nervous, so I decided to vent to this hideous creature.

"Hello, Mr. Spider. What are you doing here this fine evening?" It merely twitched one of its many legs. "Not feeling particularly chatty? That's ok. Do people think that you're bad too, just because of your nature?"

A fat fly flew idly into its web, struggling fruitlessly. The spider crawled over to it and began wrapping it up in sticky silver strands, spinning it precisely. I then watched, utterly hypnotised, as it bit into its victim and drank its liquified organs.

The spider's abdomen grew and swelled until it had nearly doubled in size, then it assumed its regular position in the middle and started its routine over again.

"I'll take that as a yes," I said flatly and sighed. It was sad knowing that a creature far worse than me would probably end up getting out of here before I did.

I was just about to start another one-sided conversation with the arachnid when I heard footsteps approach my door. My mind was just ready to guess who it was when they suddenly walked in.

"Hello, young Midoriya," All Might let out a hollow chuckle, "I haven't seen you in a while. Not since... the... uh- anyway, how are you?"

"A-All Might! It's so good to see you! Did you hear the good news? I'm not crazy anymore!" I smiled so wide (maybe too wide), probably disproving my point.

"Yes, I... uh... did hear about that," he gulped and his eyes darted around the cell.

"You don't seem happy. What's wrong?" I asked with genuine concern.

"Well, Iida told us that you told him that you were 'technically a serial killer'. However, we only have one of your victims - Monoma - on record," he looked at me with slight fear, not knowing what terrors to expect.

"Oh... that. Well, you'll be glad to know that I've only killed two others, so I barely register as a serial killer. My first victim was a businessman in an alleyway a few hours after I had a breakdown mid-lesson and ran away. He was dying anyway, I just put him out of his misery. My second was a petty criminal I was sent to kill on a mission for the League, no one missed him," I answered shamefully.

All Might looked slightly relieved and gestured to someone out of my sight in the hallway to come in. I recognised the man as Detective Naomasa Tsukauchi, a close friend of All Might.

"You remember Tsukauchi, don't you?" All Might asked. I nodded silently.

"I have come to tell you that most charges have been dropped against you, Midoriya. That tip you gave to UA about the LOV base really helped, we managed to take Kurogiri into custody. Although, many students probably need therapy because of what you did, but other than that, you seem to have done more good than bad with your vigilantism," he held up his hand to silence me and the question I would inevitably ask.

"It really wasn't that difficult to figure out. You don't even wear a mask, so there are plenty of witness descriptions," he explained, and I lowered my head in embarrassment, "that vigilantism is where the problem arises, unfortunately. As you may know, vigilantes are outlawed, and no matter how much you do, it still counts as disturbance of the peace, so you will be punished. However, we have managed to lower your sentence to a mere 80 hours of community service!"

"R-really? So I'm not going to prison?" I asked politely.

"Despite the protests of quite a few people, no," he retorted with a smidge of annoyance in his voice.

"Thank you, Tsukauchi. Thank you so much,"
I sniffed, tears pricking at the edges of my eyes.

I would have hugged them if not for the fact that I was chained harshly to the wall. Both of their expressions softened and they knew that they had made no mistakes. I still had a few more questions, though.

"Wait, where will I go to school?" I questioned. The two men opposite me exchanged smug glances.

"I'll tell him, Naomasa," said All Might, "me and the other staff members have decided to let you stay in education at UA. You may be a bit behind on work, but we managed to arrange some extra lessons for you after school hours. But we need to ask you - do you still want to attend the hero course? If not, we can easily-"

"They still want me? Of corse I'll still go!" I rejoiced, stars in my eyes.

"Great!" said All Might.

"Hold on, where will I live?" I asked them.

"Lately we have added some dormitories to UA's campus and there are still plenty of rooms free in class 1-A's building. What do you say to that, my boy?" All Might smiled.

"Definitely, yes! But what about-" I started.

"Don't worry, we have already contacted your mother and asked that your stuff be sent to your new room. She's overjoyed to hear that you're alright, by the way," the hero added.

It was a long pause, but then I asked my final question. "Why are you helping me?"

"Because we know that you're good, you just needed some help realising it," he gave me a thumbs up and unlocked my shackles. We went on our way to the school.

~~~

That night I slept in Recovery Girl's office, since it was the only place in the school with a decent bed and I didn't want to strut into the dorms at 2am - that would be awkward.

The next morning, I went into homeroom. I was given my old uniform and I changed into it eagerly, making my tie neat for once. Expecting the worst, I entered the classroom and was more than surprised with what happened.

As soon as I entered, my old friends ran (except Iida, who speed walked) to me with open arms. I collapsed into them with living relief and started weeping tears of utter bliss. I was wanted again.

~~~

Then that brings us up to now. I am currently 25 and hold the proud place of number 2 hero - second only to Kacchan.

The looks I get from people are much kinder than they used to be. They respect me now and forgive me for what I've done. Maybe one day I'll achieve my dream of being the world's greatest hero, but for the time being, I am in a great place. It can only get better from here.