96

"Mumma!"

Nia shouted cheerfully seeing her mother standing at the entrance of the school. Nia ran towards Naina but then she tripped on her way. Naina had run towards her to check up on her. Making Nia stand up on her feet, Naina started to check whether she was hurt or not and while she was doing that, Naina couldn't stop herself ranting out concern for her daughter.

"How many times have I told you not to run? Why don't you listen? What if you hurt- and just where are you looking at?"

Naina turned back where Nia's gaze was fixed but soon averted as soon Nia her heard her mother question. Naina found no one but the crowd.

"Nothing Mumma"

Naina heard Nia whisper and looked at her.

"Mumma? Why are you here today?"

Naina was shocked to hear this from Nia.

"Weren't you always wanted me to spend time with you?"

Naina held Nia's hand and both started to make their way out of the school.

"Yes, mumma. But dadu?"

"He's at home. Common, we are gonna eat ice cream and let me guess, it would be mmmmm butterscotch?"

"No, blackcurrant!"

"Blackcurrant? But you don't like that. You like to eat butterscotch, don't you?"

"Yes mumma. I did like it earlier. But now I love blackcurrant"

Nia said grinning at her mother. While, Naina stared back at her astound to hear this.

"O- oh okay? Blackcurrant, it is then"

"Yeyyy!"

Though Naina couldn't believe the sudden change in her liking, she just let it go thinking that as Nia was growing, maybe with time her likings are already changing. Soon, they were at the same cafe where Arthi and Naina used to hangout and sometimes with Karan who had become nosy back then only to spend time Arthi.

Naina ordered one blackcurrant for Nia and butterscotch for herself. She watched Nia eating her ice-cream happily. She was happy. But deep inside, the sudden change in her daughter got her off guard.

While Nia was too busy in enjoying her ice-cream, Naina recollected how she used to spend time with Arthi and it was Arthi who understood her everytime without her saying anything. She missed her. She always questioned, why did she had to leave? Was everyone not enough to leave her alone? She was the only person she had as a friend. Naina couldn't help but feel her chest tightening from the pain of loss.

'I wish you could come back soon. I am waiting for you'

Sighing, she continued to have her ice-cream.

Once they were done, Naina took her to the park. It was like Naina just didn't wanted to go home yet. Not until she had collected her thoughts after what happened.

Nia was happily playing by herself in the park while Naina stared at her. It suddenly seemed like there was this distance not only between her and Aditya, but also her and Nia. He talks and her likes have seemed to change all of a sudden and she had no clue to this change.

The ringing of her mobile, brought her back out of the thoughts she had submerged into. Shoving out her phone, she saw it was Archana who was calling her. Swiping up, she picked up the call.

"Where are you, Naina? It's almost six in the evening."

Hearing this, Naina checked time in her wrist watch.