23: This Feeling's All We Know

I like me better when I'm with you

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

It rained the whole of yesterday, and today morning, so I was a bit thrown off. I was anticipating clear skies and cool winds, as I had a date with Ray today, but thankfully, the rain stopped mid noon.

Katie had come over, squealing that we had a lot of catching up to do. She wanted all the details, which I gave to her, and she was a happy mess.

"I can't believe you both are together! I mean, who would've thought Ray and you?" She gushed, as her hands simultaneously worked on my hair. I hummed, still living in that ecstasy.

"Where is he taking you out? We need to know in order to pick up the correct outfit!" Hangers and clothes were thrown aside as she skimmed through my wardrobe.

"I don't know, he told me to dress comfortably, whatever that means." With zero knowledge in dressing up, my go to stylist had always been Katie.

"Hmm, something comfortable. How about a plain white shirt, over which you can wear a black sweatshirt, paired with washed blue jeans and sneakers? It'll be cute and comfortable." She seemed happy with her choice and immediately, the clothes are thrown in my hands.

" She seemed happy with her choice and immediately, the clothes are thrown in my hands

"Dress up, I'll pick out some accessories to go with till then." I nod at that, heading to pull the clothes over.

When I come out, a black purse and white sneakers are laid out for me, as Katie busied herself in tidying up the mess she made. It was almost cute, how invested she was in everything related to me. I couldn't imagine my life without her. Yes, I had new friends— friends who loved me and cared for me but Katie was Katie.

No one knew me like her. No one knew why my wardrobe was filled to the brim with black, and why I was the way I was. Those few secrets were always hers to keep, and hers to have.

"You look cute!" She rushed and sat me down in front of the dressing table, pulling my hair into a cute French bun, and secured it with a clutcher. She purposefully plucked a few strands out and let them fall over my face.

"And viola! Here you go, all ready!" She stood behind me, her hands squeezing my shoulders as we both admired my makeover. I looked as fresh as a daisy, and cute too, with the outfit and the light makeup. The eyeliner was drawn to perfection! I could never.

"Thank you for this, I—whenever you do this, I become unsure of myself, and get to meet this new side of me, which I often try to conceal." I pull her in for a hug, but she tsks, wagging her finger all over my face.

"I wouldn't want to mess up all that. Now go slip into your sneakers. He should be here anytime!" She almost pushed me downstairs, as we both chuckled.