35: Nothing Without You

You're just too good to be true, can't take my eyes off you, pardon the way I stare, there's nothing else to compare ❞

───────────────

(Ray's POV)

"And we're all done!" Ashton supplied, ruffling up Sam's hair as he climbed down the examination chair and clung to mom's legs. Sam warmed up pretty quick to him, faster than his last doctor, and it was an emotional sight to see him giggling while being checked. He'd always dreaded these visits, and I was so thankful to Ashton for doing this for us. "Do you want to check out this cool gun I have down in my garage?" Sam nodded excitedly, his eyes widening at the sight of June entering the room. 

"Coffee!" She placed the three cups of coffee in front of us before kneeling down and kissing Sam on his cheek. The little demon blushed and plopped a kiss on June's cheek, making her giggle in the process. No matter how much I joked about him having a teensy tiny crush on June, my heart warmed at the sight of them both playing and bonding.

"Daughter dearest. Do me a favor and take Sam to our garage. I'm sure we have some toys kept at the back. In the meanwhile, I'll talk to them about his condition." June nodded and picked up Sam in her arms, who looked too happy for his liking. She sent me a small smile and then turned around, cooing Sam who had started to fidget and giggle. I would be nothing if it wasn't for her. Mom squeezed my hand beneath the table, her eyes telling me she was grateful for June too. 

Ashton cleared his throat and we gave him our entire attention, as he flicked through Sam's medical reports. "His blood pressure and pulse are entirely stable at the moment." Beside me, mom heaved a sigh of relief. "But, a transplant is unavoidable." A grim expression took over his face as both of us sat up straight, gulping heavily. "At this rate, I'd give three months for him to remain stable. After that, there's a high chance that he might face a heart attack." Mom clamped a hand on her mouth to stifle her sobs as I squeezed her shoulder, pulling her in. "Forgive me for being a bit harsh with my words, but my profession does not allow me to give false hope. Especially when it comes to matters of heart and brain." 

"We understand where you're coming from. Please, do continue." Mom muttered, wiping away her tears. "Please tell us everything. We're here to accept the reality and do anything that could help my son." 

"Please do keep thinking that way. It's extremely important for you guys to remain positive, because Sam is young, and he needs all the support and love." Ashton, as he'd told me to call him, pursed his lips and rubbed his palms together. "I'll have a word with the doctors in the city hospital. I used to work there, and I could maybe help speed things up. Of course this doesn't mean I will put Sam above on the list, because that would be an injustice to the other patients, but I can sure look into other hospitals around South California and see if there is someone who would be personally willing to help us. Sometimes, people offer their organs to specific people, mostly relatives or close friends in need. We could look for that approach as well." 

That would help us so much. "God bless your big heart, Dr. Williams. You're doing such a big favor for us. We'll forever owe you and your family." Tears flowed down the corners of mom's eyes and mine watered as well, my heart aching for my five year old brother, who absolutely did not deserve whatever he was going through. He had yet to see the beautiful aspects of the world, yet to explore the unexplored, yet to spread his smile and lay his eyes upon the wondrous beauty of nature. 

"Mrs. Rutherford, you're being too polite. This is my job, and more than ever my responsibility to help the needful." Getting up from his seat, he shook mom's hand in a firm grip and patted me on my back. "Don't worry, Sam will be better soon enough." We all walked out towards the garage from where squeals and giggles could be heard. Stepping out of the door and onto the freshly mowed lawn, a soft squeak left my mother's mouth at the sight of June laying on the ground and playing cars with Sam. The little guy was all over her, shouting, yelling and giggling as something she said made him laugh.