32: Decisions, Decisions

Don't know these streets we roam, graffiti on the roads inside my bones, mark me like stone

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Ray came into the line of our sight and we all froze for a second. Richy's eyes were wide and flitted between us and him. Susan took a step forward, tears flowing down her face, and I had quite the same reaction.

He was covered from head to toe in scratches. His lip was busted open and there was a huge scar etching over the right side of his cheek. His eyes were bloodshot and his knucles wounded.

"What the fuck is going on here?" Richy walked over to the door and pushed Ray in, not before slamming the door shut. His gaze settled on Ray tentatively, as a smirk took over him. "Holding up fine after all that beating, aren't ya?"

Ray smiled, the crazy evil kind of smile and looked Richy in his eye. "Your men look worse than me. Find them a hospital, okay?" The smirk washed off his face and Richy shoved Ray against the wall as Susan screamed.

"Maverick, no." Sanders whispered, as he looked over to me. I couldn't say anything, I couldn't do anything. Fear was visible on every feature of my body and there were tears in my eyes. My heart was hammering and all I wanted to do was run in Ray's arms and protect him from everything that was happening. But I couldn't. It was as if my feet were glued on the spot.

"Why? I care about ya man, you know I do. But just 'cuz you had a lil somethin' with that chick's father," his eyes settled on me, "that doesn't mean I ain't beating his ass. He's been a trouble to us, you know that. They're gonna hand our asses to the police and we don't want that. We've been doing well, there's kilos of cocaine coming in tomorrow from Mexico. Imagine the money we'd make!" Richy's voice was desperate—begging Evan to see his point.

Disgust filled me because these people were destroying lives of so many others whether by just being a part of the cycle or by being the suppliers. Money was such an addictive thing; the more you got it, the more you wanted it. And so were drugs. Money is a drug. These two men were addicted to money and in turn weaving their way to quick illegal methods.

Drugs destroyed Susan's life. Drugs destroyed Ray's life. Drugs destroyed so many people's lives and yet, we continue to portray them as something cool. Was it social expectancy? Did people feel obligatory to make their way up the social hierarchy? Was drugs, sex and money the only way? If that was what was needed, I didn't want it. If you can destroy your own life, it means you can destroy other's too.

"I understand, but let's not hurt the kids." Evan spoke, grabbing Ray's hand and pushing him towards us. "Let them go, and let's leave for LA. Morgan will keep us safe." A passive expression made itself visible on Evan's face, as if he was treading in dark waters, trying to figure out how to get out of this situation.

"Are you kidding me?" Richy growled, stepping towards Evan. "We can make them rat bait. We can use them to escape smoothly! Why can't you get that, Evan?" In a minute Evan was pinned against the wall as we all watched the two men, horrified. My hand was engulfed with another, and I looked up to see Ray looking down at me, his coffee brown irises a mix of softness and concern and guilt.

He pulled me behind him, as I watched the scene unfold.

"I know. But it's not ethical to hurt them. We don't do that Richy, we never hurt anyone; and please, not these kids." Evan's eyes again fell on me and the confusion increased, as to why and how was he related to my father.

"We got the document we needed and you got the money you did. Let us go and maybe we will keep our mouths shut." Susan decided to declare, as we all huddled a little more closer. Silent questions were passed between the friends as Ray only spared everyone an assuring glance, his fingers rubbing the back of my wrist lightly.