thirteen. old bones

thirteen
⋇⋆✦⋆⋇
old bones

thirteen⋇⋆✦⋆⋇↳ old bones ↲

AS I RAN A HOOKED NEEDLE THROUGH PALE SKIN, tainted with remains of blood, I wondered at what point my innocence had decayed, leaving nothing but old bones behind

The sight didn't make me squeamish, barely causing me to feel anything, anymore. I wanted to know in which part after seeing so many things come to an end, human remains scattered on the sidewalk, or even watching the light drain from ones eyes, when I had become to used to all of it.

I was only old bones, chipping away into the earths rich soil as I stitched up the wound in front of me, Dawn supervising. Each minute I drowned deeper and deeper into the dirt, only my own ears hearing the lonely attempts of my cries for help.

She knew each and every step, as her eyes closely followed, her mouth parting slightly if I made even the slightest error. She was too afraid to do it herself, like almost everything within the hospital. The officer didn't want to mess up. She left that job for the others surrounding her.

For this reason, it was easy to understand that buried deep inside the hospital known as "Grady Memorial", the truth lied out in the open. Only the ones willing to find it, can truly see it, however. This building in the heart of Atlanta wasn't at all what it was made out to be. What was intentionally something as harmless as a shelter, turned into the remains of broken, angry souls, and unsealable wounds.

Deep down, it was just another messed up safehaven, itching to be my demise. This place, it wanted to tear me apart, and leave not even my decomposing bones behind. They wanted it all, every last bit of me.

The sky from the view of the small windows were bleeding reds and oranges, calling out to me as a warning sign. In a couple hours, give or take if I couldn't save myself, things wouldn't end well. I would be nothing but a chess piece for one who's hands starved, craving something just as the dead creatures floors below. He was just like them, mindless orbs searching for one thing, and one thing only.