nineteen. all of us

nineteen
⋇⋆✦⋆⋇
all of us

nineteen⋇⋆✦⋆⋇↳ all of us ↲

WHEN THE EARLY HOURS of morning had finally bestowed upon us, I woke hesitantly, wishing I could sleep forever

WHEN THE EARLY HOURS of morning had finally bestowed upon us, I woke hesitantly, wishing I could sleep forever. Wallowing in the filtered light which came through, I took note, of the quiet outside world from my seat. The storm had finally passed.

The others were left spread out on the barn floor, together. All laid slumber-ridden, if not, completely taken over by the need to recharge.

I looked to the side of me, at Carl. The speckles of light reflected onto his face extraordinarily, emphasizing his features; cutting a line between highlight, and shadows drawn along the cheekbones of his. His freckles, if I looked long enough - which I was careful about letting myself do, reminded me of shaped constellations, and pieces of broken stardust. Part of him was painstakingly drawn out from affliction, blood, and tears. . . but, another was soft, to put it simply. A part of him, I had began understanding.

The baby he held carefully in his arms had began to toss around, eyelashes then fluttering open to reveal big, golden laced brown eyes. She attempted at lifting her head, contrarily, the boys hand was keeping her locked down. She easily grew tired of this, beginning to make fussy, small frustrated grunts, which made the boy stir in his sleep.

I didn't think before making contact with his warm arm, moving it to the side, and picking up Judith. Despite knowing how to hold a baby with my own experience on being an older sister, her squirming body felt awkward in my arms. I had only held her in a few instances, but always with Carl beside me.

I hushed her as quiet wails echoed in the barn, making my way across the shelter, to prevent others from waking on account of her displeasing shrieking. I set my eyes on a small closed off backroom, holding her tighter while taking out the larger knife from a leather scabbard I recently received, from Daryl. The light colored blade provided much more security within me, than my flimsy pocketknife had done after loosing my other at Terminus. I wanted this keepsake of the blondes to never leave my side, no matter what. Anyone who tried on taking it from me, would very quickly discover the worth I held upon it.