twenty two. dearly beloved

twenty two
⋇⋆✦⋆⋇
dearly beloved

twenty two⋇⋆✦⋆⋇↳ dearly beloved ↲

BEHIND ME, there was a soft bang, echoing against the metal gates

BEHIND ME, there was a soft bang, echoing against the metal gates. It was almost non existent. Quiet enough that the Millers couldn't hear this occurrence from their porch, but I could. I listened as a snarl curdled from the throat of a dead one.

No matter how tough the walls, it reminded me that the outside world was still there, while we withered away in safety. The walkers would always, no matter if one chose to ignore it or not. I couldn't, and that was for certain. There were too many remembrances in my mind. Too many losses, piled up. All of that remained outside. I wouldn't forget where it came from.

"Well," Carl let out a sigh, pulling my attention back to the current conversation we held with the elderly couple. "Her names Judith. I chose it."

"Judith." The woman smiled. "A lovely name for a lovely little girl."

Her husband chuckled in response. "Haven't seen a baby in a long time. Say, we used to have them little ones all around our house. Runnin', crawling, you name it. "

"Twelve grandkids." Mrs. Miller told Carl. "It's been too long."

Carl gave them a sympathetic smile, continuing to hold Judith as the couple reached their hands to the baby. He knew it was something quite new for them, so he didn't pay it much mind. Of course, who wouldn't be struck by the sight of a child? Especially one who hadn't been protected by the walls this whole time.

"Now, you let us know if you ever need someone to watch Judith! We'd both be thrilled to get any time with the sweetheart."

"Sure thing. I'm sure we could use the help." He replied, looking up.

I then caught sight on Rick, strolling down the street. This being the last house on the block, it was evident his destination was where we stood. He passed a small friendly smile towards us, me returning the gesture as he neared.

"Mind if I steal these three from you?" He asked, placing his thumbs in the two front belt loops of his jeans. "We've got a busy day."

The couple stood from their seats, inching down the porch, to shake his hand and introduce themselves. For a couple minutes, they only talked about how cute they thought Judith was. Then, it focused on how nice of kids the two of us were. Rick wasn't able to get more than a few words in, though I'd think he'd admit to not minding this much.