twenty one. grace

twenty one
⋇⋆✦⋆⋇
grace

twenty one⋇⋆✦⋆⋇↳ grace ↲

THE NAUSEA CAME IN WAVES

THE NAUSEA CAME IN WAVES. It first hit me when I had stepped through the metal gates, leaving everything we knew behind. It was only a small twinge, really. A twist in my lower abdomen. Alexandria was an extreme shift in perspective, I could tell from only the seconds I spent inside.

They had it good here. That much was obvious. The bright colors I saw in the distance - those were flowers planted into the soil. Pansies, I thought. They were the only flowers I could remember ever being so bright as these ones. As for the blurs of people passing by, those were the citizens here. If that was what they were called, anyways. To me, they looking like nothing less then faceless moving mannequins. Truly, not much looked real here. It didn't feel real, either. Alexandria was something out of a fever dream. The ones you wake covered in sweat, chills itching down the back of your neck.

I was aware that it wouldn't be an easy adjust for me after they asked us politely but strictly, to hand over our weapons. Though, I did hold out my knife this time, unlike at Terminus. It may have been the nods and glances which prompted me to do so, or my own exhaustion, unwilling to put up a fight at this time. When I needed that knife, it would be back in my hands, no matter what. For now, I had to give this place a chance. For Judith, and for Carl; who both desperately needed a roof over their heads. I did, too.

This place; we could make it work. It was a good thing we were here.

When word came that Deanna wanted us to each be individually interviewed before being directed to our assigned houses, I felt that same twinge in my stomach. Luckily, it wasn't harsh enough to really take any effect, besides influencing me to take a seat on the steps of the Monroe's residence while we waited for our names to be called in, one by one. I didn't let the thought of being on my own inside worry me, as I was occupied with the dead possum Daryl had brought with him. He took much interest in this animal. Twisting and turning it in his hands, like he couldn't wait to skin it, and cook it for a meal. I caught myself almost asking him to put it away, for I was sure the people here would provide something much better than roadkill. Of course, I didn't. Carol had already tried, and earned a look of disgust from him.