xxiv: see you later.

"I'm going to miss you," Marisol said, watching as Colette packed clothes into a suitcase.

Colette looked at Marisol, closing her suitcase and putting it by the bedroom door. It hadn't taken long for Colette to pack her stuff, she hadn't brought much in the first place. Unfortunately, that made it hard to stall, and there was no doubt that Colette would be out of the house exactly when the president wanted her to be. That meant that she had to make the little time before then as best as she could.

"I'm going to miss you too." Colette laid down on the bed with a sigh. She gestured for Marisol to lay down next to her. Marisol paused, apprehensive, before finally crawling onto the bed from the other side. Colette slipped her arms around Marisol and turned onto her side. The two of them were flush together, chest to chest. Marisol buried her face in Colette's shoulder.

The situation should have been more awkward, or at least that's what Colette thought. Despite everything the two of them had been together, they'd never done the traditional relationship things. They hadn't been on a date nor had they introduced themselves to each other's friends. Outside of huddling for warmth in a blizzard, this was the first time they had cuddled while awake. However, Marisol felt perfect in her arms. Colette liked the way Marisol's small exhales tickled her neck.

"Are you sure that you want to do this?" Marisol asked softly, "We could run away again."

Colette could feel warmth swelling in her chest. Marisol, who cried earlier that day over their current situation was willing to continue hiding if that was what Colette wanted.

"I'm sure," Colette said, "Even if I'm just being used as some celebrity figurehead to boost the president's approval rating, I think the choice I'm making is much bigger than me."

"What do you mean?" Marisol asked.

"Even if I had a good way to say no, I couldn't bring myself to. This is a big deal. I remember when France legalized magic, and the joy that it brought to the witch community. Slowly, but surely, French witches are coming out of hiding and practicing magic. If I can help that transition here, then I should. It would save so many witches from persecution."

"I wish I could go with you," Marisol said, "I don't know what I'd do, but I know that I would feel a lot better if I was there."

Colette gently pushed Marisol, creating some distance so they could look at each other. "As soon as I'm able, I'll meet you in New York, and we can get back to normal."

Marisol smiled. "It won't be that normal for me, you know. Dating the famous heartthrob Colette is quite a big deal."

"We'll create a new normal then, where we're not fugitives. We won't have to hide anything."

"Sounds perfect." Marisol brought her hands up to cup Colette's cheeks and leaned in, bringing their lips together. The kiss was long, but gentle. There wasn't a rush or sense of urgency. Instead, it felt like a see you later.

For the rest of the time, they didn't say a word about Colette leaving. Instead, they chatted and laughed. Colette learned that Marisol's favorite color was yellow and that she used to be a major skate rat in high school. Colette talked about living in France, and how one day, she'd bring Marisol to her home country. Of course, there were plenty more see you later's, peppered in as gentle kisses between sentences.

When the door opened and Mr. Schultz informed Colette that it was time to go neither her nor Marisol hesitated leaving the bed. Despite their separation, they were content, and ready to meet each other again in New York. Colette grabbed her suitcase and the two of them walked downstairs.