xxv. just like starlight.

Colette walked through an endless sea of fluffy, pink clouds. They shifted around her ankles, whispy and ticklish. When she glanced around, she found blue skies, lined with the same pink clouds at her feet. The only break to the pattern was a sun, shining bright and illuminating the world.

She wore a white sundress that billowed around her knees, despite no sign of wind. Her feet were bare, slightly damp from the misty clouds lining the ground.

She walked around, finding no break to the clouds. She could run for miles and it wouldn't end. She was in a dream, she realized, the same one she had before in the car. When she turned her head to get one last look around, she was met with familiar brown eyes and tan skin.

Marisol was dressed similarly to Colette in a simple white sundress. Colette smiled. Marisol looked beautiful even in dreams. Marisol always had a simple kind of beauty with smooth skin, round cheeks, and a flat nose that fit her face perfectly. Colette walked forward until she could cup Marisol's face in her hands, admiring the curve of dark eyelashes and the reflections in brown eyes. Marisol stood still, a calm look on her face as Colette ran her thumbs over the shorter woman's lips, cheeks, and eyebrows. "Marisol," she said, smiling widely, "You look just like starlight."

Marisol smiled back. She stood on her toes, wrapping her arms around Colette and pulling her down into a long kiss. Colette could almost feel their lips pressing together, as if they were somewhere real. When Marisol pulled away, they looked into each other's eyes, their noses touching.

"You're sappier in my dreams," Marisol said.

Before Colette could correct Marisol, she felt something grab onto her, pulling on her shoulder. She resisted, reaching out towards Marisol, but the pink clouds faded away, and the dream land turned black.

Colette's eyes snapped open and the bright interior of the plane filled her vision. She blinked a few times, adjusting to the lights. She felt a hand on her shoulder, the same feeling as in her dream, and looked over to see Mrs. Falberry.

"Miss Lamoreaux, finally, you're awake," she said, standing up straight. She held forward a tote bag. "I need you to change into this before we land in 30 minutes. I know you've been asleep, but you need to look good for the press."

Colette pushed herself off of the chair and grabbed the bag. She was directed to the back of the plane, where there was a bathroom big enough to change in. The clothing was simple, some dark pants, a white button up, a large coat, and some shiny black oxfords. Changing quickly was mindless; this wasn't the first time that she had to get dressed quickly for the press. In the bag were also make-up supplies.

Colette looked at herself in the bathroom mirror. Her mind returned to the dream that she had awoken from just minutes ago. Unlike before, her recollection of the dream was more than just a vague impression. It was a vivid memory that she could replay in her mind. The pink of the clouds and Marisol's soft smile were vibrant. The realness of it would have been offsetting if not for Marisol's presence. Her mind must have been romanticizing Marisol after they had been separated.

There was a knock at the door. Mrs. Falberry's voice was familiar. "Did you see the make-up in there? Go ahead and put some on."

Colette did as she was told. There was no kind of concealer or foundation, but there was a simple blush palette, mascara, and eyeliner. She did the most simple and effective look she could think of. By the time she was done, she looked more alive with blush on her cheeks and her eyes were accentuated by eyeliner and long, dark lashes. When she stepped out of the room, Mrs. Falberry looked her up and down.

"Well, I guess you're not a model for nothing," she said, "Buckle up, we're descending."

The window next to Colette's seat revealed the dark night sky. It was barely past midnight. The stars shone through the clouds. If she looked down, she could see highways of lights illuminating the ground. From the plane, the vehicles and buildings below were the size of insects. With their glow, they almost seemed to be like fireflies.

As soon as the plane landed and rolled to a stop, Mrs. Falberry spoke up. "Remember, don't say a word to the press. Walk behind the president, give a couple waves, and remember to look good for the camera."

Colette nodded and then stood. She could already hear commotion outside of the plane. The president, also dressed and ready, stood as well. Together, with Mrs. Falberry and the secret service behind them, they walked out of the plane. Rosie Richards plastered an easy and energetic smile on her face, despite the late time. She waved to the press, and gestured for Colette to do the same.

Colette was no stranger to press friendly smiles, so the fake expression formed on her face easily. She waved and cameras flashed. A chorus of voices rang through, so jumbled that she could hardly pick out any individual sentences, though she could hear her name being called often.

As they walked past the barricaded press, Colette kept her eyes looking forward, not letting any of the reporters get within her field of vision. She was almost in the clear until someone leaned far over the barricade, stuck a camera in her face, and yelled a question over the chatter.

"Colette, do you regret what you did in New York City?"

Colette turned towards the reporter, and the answer left her lips before she could even think about it. "No."

As soon as she answered, a secret service agent stepped in between them, forcing the reporter back. It was then that she was ushered into a large car, the door shutting behind her.

When she looked around the car, she realized that the only other people inside was one of the agents who she saw using magic at the Schultz's house, Cesar, and Mrs. Falberry. Cesar was driving, while Mrs. Falberry was in the passenger seat.

As soon as the car started moving, Mrs. Falberry turned in her seat and gave Colette a very dirty look. "I told you not to talk to the press," she said, "you shouldn't have answered that question."

Colette resisted the urge to groan. She hadn't meant to answer. The word just slipped out of her mouth without a thought. However, a little bit of pride sparked within her. She answered truthfully, and despite Mrs. Falberry's complaining, she was glad that she did.

"Where is Rosie?" Colette asked.

Mrs. Falberry turned back to face the front of the car. "Madam President is in her own car, going to the White House."

The annoyed secretary answered Colette's question before she could even ask it. "The reason I'm going with you is because I'm in charge of training you. You'll be with me until the executive order is signed."

Colette cringed at the thought of waking up to Mrs. Falberry once again. Instead, she looked at the rearview mirror at Cesar. This seemed as good a time as any to ask the question that had been on her mind.

"Why is there a witch working for the government?" she asked.

Cesar's eyes flicked briefly to Colette's in the mirror before settling back on the road. There wasn't even time for a response before Mrs. Falberry spoke up. "That's confidential. He can't answer that."

Colette stared into the mirror, hoping that Cesar would say something anyway, but his eyes stayed on the road for the rest of the trip, leaving her hanging.