viii. you single?

"Do you need a change of clothes?"

Colette looked down at what she was wearing. Skinny jeans wouldn't be fun to sleep in. "Yes," she responded, "I do."

Marisol nodded and rifled through a dresser on the other side of the room. It wasn't long before the shorter girl stood up and threw a mass of clothes at Colette.

Colette managed to catch them. She would have asked where the bathroom was to change: she hardly knew Marisol, but the photographer's assistant had turned her back and started changing. Colette felt her mouth go dry. She hadn't been to many sleepovers in her life, and she couldn't remember changing in front of any friends. It wasn't normal to stare either, but Colette couldn't draw her eyes away from the young woman's tan back, shifting as she pulled a shirt over her head. The last thing Colette noticed were a series of dots around Marisol's shoulders. She couldn't tell if they were acne scars or freckles, but the word cute crept in the back of her mind.

Just as Marisol turned, Colette whipped her head to the side, pretending not to look. She mustered the best of her actress abilities - after all, it's her profession - and plastered a smile on her face. "Could I use your bathroom?"

"Yeah, it's across from Nevada's room." Marisol made eye contact easily. From the unbothered expression, Colette could tell that her staring went undetected.

"Thank you." Colette walked out of the room and past all of the couches. She held her breath until she finally stepped into the bathroom and closed the door behind her. She let out a long, drawn out sigh and put her hands to her face, dropping the spare clothes to the floor. This was not the time to have a heart attack. Marisol was an acquaintance, or maybe a friend, Colette wasn't sure yet. But what Colette was sure about is that something as little as another woman changing in front of her shouldn't make her lose her marbles.

She rested her hands on the sink and stared into the mirror. She'd change, act normal because this was a sleepover, which is what normal girls do, and she'd be a polite guest. She detached herself from the porcelain and picked up the clothes from the floor. She examined them. Marisol was shorter than her, but Colette was slimmer, and this difference seemed to balance out their clothes. They fit well, though the pajama pants were a bit high-water. Colette folded the clothes she just took off and tucked them under her arms. She steadied herself and walked out of the bathroom.

Marisol was sitting on her bed, tapping away on her phone. She looked up when Colette walked back in.

"It wasn't too messy, was it?"

"No, it was fine," Colette responded. It was sort of a lie. She didn't actually pay attention to the state of the bathroom while she had her mini crisis, but that must have meant that it wasn't bad enough to distract her.

"That's good," Marisol said, putting her phone down. She stood up from the bed. "I'm going to go brush my tee-" Marisol paused mid-sentence. "It just occurred to me that I don't have a spare toothbrush for you."

Colette mentally cursed herself for not thinking this impromptu sleepover out. "It's alright," she responded, "I can last until morning."

Marisol nodded and walked out of the room. Colette sat down on the bed. A buzz from Marisol's phone reminded Colette of her own and she fished it out of the pocket of her skinny jeans before setting the pile of clothes down neatly by the bed. She opened Twitter and began scrolling through her feed. She hadn't posted much recently, the last thing being a selfie of her with New York as a backdrop, yet she still got tons of messages. She read through a few of them.

@benderfender12: Wish I was in New York so I could meet @colette lol

@natsanool: @colette is so pretty... imagine waking up to her every day lol