xiv. nevada throws a bowl at their father.

The car pulled onto a bumpy dirt road. The car jostled with Nevada in the driver's seat. Marisol avoided hitting her head against the window. Marisol wanted to ask if Nevada's parents lived in the middle of nowhere, but from a quick look around, she could tell that they did. There were no other cars in sight, nor were there buildings. The narrow road was surrounded by trees that the car just barely avoided hitting. They had been driving down the dirt road for 10 minutes before she saw a man-made structure.

    The house was a modern log cabin. Huge windows lined the house, but the rustic look of wood stacked together remained. A porch stretched around the area, and the house was elevated off the uneven ground. Marisol hopped out of the car as it rolled to a stop. The first thing that hit her ears was the sound of rushing water. She narrowed her eyes, looking past the cabin. A large waterfall was a distance away. She hadn't ever seen one in person. She didn't have time to marvel though. Nevada nagged her to get her stuff from the trunk and she obeyed.

    Together, they approached the door, lugging their belongings over the wooden steps. Before Nevada could open the door, it swung open, nearly hitting them in the face. The three of them were met by the two smiling faces of Nevada's parents. Marisol stared. A woman and a man, both who looked to be in their 60s stood in the doorway. The man had greying hair and was wearing a colorful hawaiian shirt, quite the contrast from the forest scenery around them. The woman had long, brown hair that tumbled down her back. She wore a long, floral dress and round, wire framed glasses. Marisol was aware that one of Nevada's parents was a punk band singer, but as she stared at the people in front of her, she couldn't tell.

    Colette gasped behind her. "Oh my god, you're the lead singer of When Goblins Fly!"

    The woman, Nevada's mother, smiled. "That would be me!"

    "Mom, let us inside," Nevada said.

    "Oh, sorry! Come in." Nevada's mom moved out of the doorway, allowing everybody to come inside. Marisol could hear the door shut behind her.

    Colette continued to stare at Nevada's mother. "Wow, I hardly recognize you. I had a punk phase when I was younger but you-" Colette stopped mid-sentence, pursing her lips to choose her words.

    The old woman laughed. "I transitioned."

    That's when it clicked in Marisol's head. She didn't recognize Nevada's mother because she had been expecting the punk parent to be a man. However, the woman Colette chatted with was undeniably the heartthrob of the 80's punk community.

    "You look gorgeous," Colette said, "What should I call you both?"

    "I am Julia," Nevada's mom said, "and my husband is Joel. But you call us Mr. and Mrs. Schultz."

    Marisol piped up. "Thank you for having us. I'm not sure if Nevada completely explained why we're here, but..."

    "We know," Mr. Schultz said, "Now, Nevada will show you to the guest bedroom. We can talk about that later."

    Nevada gestured for Colette and Marisol to follow them. Together, they all walked up the stairs. Nevada opened a door in a hallway and ushered Colette and Marisol in. The room had a queen sized bed and a dresser. In the corners were various instruments.

    "Sorry, this kind of doubles as a band room. It has good acoustics." Nevada looked at the instruments.

    "It's fine." Marisol set her camera bag and suitcase on the bed. "Your parents, they're chill with magic?"

    "Of course," Nevada said, "I wouldn't bring Colette here otherwise."

    Colette sat on the bed. It looked like she was still processing something. She looked at Nevada. "I can't believe your mother was the lead singer for When Goblins Fly! You have the coolest mom ever."