Chapter 1

The terrible sound of metal against metal was constant, and the two boys inside of the metal box were jerked around, tossed as if weighing nothing. Red light could be seen through the floor, but the movements of the elevator were so quick it was hard to make out where it was coming from.

“Hey!” one boy cried as the other was thrown on top of him. The one who had been thrown remained silent, too scared to speak. Both boys could only recall their first name, giving each of them a surge of panic as they attempted to grasp how they had gotten into this situation. They didn't know each other, making it all the more frightening.

 The sounds of pulleys and chains could be heard, drowning out the heavy, frantic breathing that came from both of the boys.

“Stiles, my name is Stiles.” The boy who had been tackled by the other kept repeating his name, making sure that he at least remembered that much.

 Suddenly the lift came to a slow halt, and they both sat still in the darkness a few moments longer. Then Stiles scrambled to his feet and felt the walls around them, trying to find anything – a door, a hole, any way of leaving – but was unsuccessful.

“It's a box.” The other boy was standing in a corner, eyeing Stiles.

“What do you mean?” Stiles asked without turning around, fear still present in his voice. “We're trapped?” Before the other boy could reply, the ceiling of the box made a terrible scratching noise as it slowly began to push apart, opening from the middle. As it opened, light seeped through, blinding the boys.

 The ceiling parted, revealing a bunch of faces staring down at the boys. Stiles's vision adjusted to the new light and he saw that they were all boys, talking – but not to him. Then they were all silent, and a rope was lowered to help them up. Without hesitating, Stiles grabbed it and cooperated, letting himself be pulled up. The other boy, however, remained in the corner, looking at his feet.

“Hey, klunk-head!” One of the bigger boys jumped down into the box and pulled the boy to the rope. “Ya stop daydreaming and get your butt up there.” Startled, the boy grasped the rope and scrambled out of the lift. The other boy followed.

 Murmurs broke through the crowd of boys gathered around, saying things like two boys this time or did they make a mistake?

 Stiles turned in a full circle, taking in his surroundings. They were surrounded by four even walls – a box. There was one big gap in each wall, and beyond that even more stone walls were visible, leading to corridors and passages. There were fruit trees and crops, a small barn, pens with livestock, and a forest section in one of the corners. There was a main building, but none of the structures looked too inviting.

“Nice to meet ya, shanks.” A dark-skinned boy, presumably their leader, stepped forward and extended a hand towards Stiles, who shook it with a distant look in his eye. Then he moved on to the other boy, who refused to shake hands. Instead, he staggered backwards and slid down the trunk of a tree, running his hands through his hair. The leader shrugged and returned his attention to Stiles.

“Welcome to the Glade. I'm Alby, the leader of these shanks.”

Shank? Klunk-head? Stiles felt confused, like he'd also forgotten a part of his language. What did these words mean?

“Your name?” Stiles hesitated, collecting himself.

“My name... my name is Stiles.” All of the boys burst out in laughter, but with a warning glare from Alby, shut up.

 Alby nodded and then walked towards the boy slumped against the tree. His eyes were closed, and he was breathing slowly.

“You okay, Greenbean? The Box ride can be rough; we've all been through it.” Noticing Alby was talking to him, the boy looked up, and Stiles was surprised to see no fear in the boy's eyes. He'd seemed timid, before.