𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

★ 𝐒𝐚𝐟𝐞 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐘𝐨𝐮 

"Ow..." I whined as I opened my eyes.

"Good, you're awake."

"Ah... Yeah..." I sighed.

"Mind telling me what the hell you were thinking?" Xiao snapped.

I looked over at him, the pain in my head subsiding, "I got... Curious. That's all."

"And you ended up shot. This is why you don't let curiosity get the best of you," he scolded.

"I'm sorry," I apologized.

"I don't need your idiotic apologies," he hissed. "Just be more careful from now on, got it?"

"Right. I will, I promise."

He glared at me and I felt bad, making him go through so much trouble for me. I had no idea why he was there in the first place, but I decided it was better not to ask considering how mad he was. Maybe I'd be able to ask later.

"Thanks, by the way..." I blessed with a small smile.

I noticed his gaze soften for a short moment before he looked away, "You're welcome... Uh, anyway, you should head home now."

I never bothered to question it before, but I didn't know where I was. All I needed to know was that Xiao was taking care of me. I guessed he took me to his house to treat me after picking me up.

"Do I have to...?" I asked.

"Why wouldn't you?"

"If I go home with a limp and a hole in my leg, my mom will freak out and she won't let me outside ever again! She'll homeschool me and cook for me and make me clean her house forever!" I panicked, getting absorbed in my own mind as I imagined the possibilities. None of them were good. I sat upright as slowly as I could and winced from the pain in my leg.

"Jesus, calm down," Xiao muttered. "Is it seriously that bad?"

"Well yes! Wait, where's my phone? She hasn't called, has she?!" I exclaimed.

He opened his mouth to say something but I glanced around and saw my phone on the nightstand so I snatched it and looked to see if I got any calls. Thankfully, I didn't.

"If she'd be so worried, why hasn't she called you already?" Xiao queried.

"Well most of the times when I go out, I don't get back until dark," I replied. "That's probably why."

"Well it's getting dark now, so either you leave now or never," he stated.

I clicked on Mom's contact and called her, immediately getting an answer.

"Y/n!? Did something happen?!" She demanded.

"No, I was just letting you know that I went a bit too far and I don't think I can make it back home before dark, so I'm gonna be staying at a friend's place," I responded.

"Wait, you have a friend?" She questioned.

"Mom..." I groaned.

Xiao just stared out the window as I talked to my mom. I guessed he didn't want to interrupt. I glanced at him, seeing the orange glow from the sun in his eyes. Just from that I could tell it really was going to be dark soon.

"Well, just stay safe, okay?" She sighed.

"I will. Love you."

"I love you too."

She hung up and I exhaled with relief. I wasn't sure if she'd believe me when I said I was staying at a friend's place since she already knows what happened to all my other friends before, and how they left. Lucky me.

"I'm assuming that went well," Xiao commented. "Do you really find that much joy in adventuring?"

"Well yeah. It gives me time to be by myself and I can discover new places. And then at the end of my trips, I write about what I saw, whether I found nothing or not," I answered.

"I don't understand it," he sighed. "But it doesn't matter. Get rest."

He headed toward the door. I didn't really want him to leave just yet, but I let him. He looked at me one more time with soft eyes before closing the door. I heard his footsteps retreating and I smiled as I thought of how he let his cold exterior slip for a moment.

Still... Why was he out there in the first place?

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

I slept for a while longer and woke up when Xiao entered the room once again. I was happy to see him again since I couldn't actually move to go look for him myself. When he opened the door, I noticed a bowl in his hands.

"It's hot, so let it cool off," he commanded, placing the bowl on the nightstand beside me.

"Thank you," I grinned. "You don't have to take care of me..."

"The quicker you get better, the sooner you can leave," he snapped harshly.

I reached my hand out and touched his arm, which startled him. I smiled and his golden eyes widened before he hastily turned away.

"Do you really feel that way?" I queried.

"What are you talking about?"

"Do you really feel so desperate for me to leave?" I added on.

"...I'll be back in an hour to check on you," he stated, avoiding the question altogether.

Well I guess that gives me my answer.

He walked out, closing the door gently behind him. I smiled and grabbed the bowl beside me, softly blowing on the soup to cool it off faster. Normally I wouldn't even think about eating food from someone I barely knew, but Xiao saved my life and he had trust issues of his own. I knew I could trust him.

It got boring rather fast, since I had nothing to do. I spaced out a few times, but it never lasted too long. It was only for a minute at a time. I couldn't find much to think about, so I tried sleeping. It worked, thankfully.

The hour passed in a flash and I could hear footsteps entering the room. All the noises were fuzzy and I was still half-asleep, so I didn't feel like really waking up. I felt someone brush my hair out of my face. Their touch was comforting, and I think I subconsciously knew it was Xiao. There wasn't anyone else it could've been.

As he tried pulling his hand away, I grasped it with my own.

"No..." I mumbled. It was all I really had the energy to say and even then, it sounded more like a random grumble instead of an actual word.

He let me hold his hand and I felt a spark of happiness in my heart because of it. He didn't seem like one to give much affection, and it was just another sign that he was starting to trust me a bit more.

And I decided right then and there that he was my safe person. He was the person I could feel secure and protected around. I could only hope he felt the same way with me, but I kinda doubted it.

Maybe someday.