𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

★ 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐕𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞 

"Damn it!" I groaned as I accidentally dropped my spear for the 22nd time in the last hour.

I'd been trying for an entire week to properly use the spear, but it wasn't going well. I knew I should've picked a sword, but honestly, I didn't really want to wield a sword. I picked my spear off the ground and sighed. I was trying to find the easiest ways to swing it without dropping it, while also being able to effectively damage an enemy. I was never going to be able to protect myself if I couldn't even get a handle on my own weapon.

"Y/n, come inside and have something to eat. You've been at it for the past two hours," Mom called.

"I'm not hungry, but thanks!" I responded.

Actually, I was starving, but I didn't want to stop. I was determined to master a polearm, and I had to take a break since it rained in the morning. I gazed at the weapon for a few moments before thinking. I knew I'd need help, but part of me didn't want to ask for it. It'd be cool to say I taught myself how to properly use a polearm, wouldn't it? Even with my reluctance, I still decided to seek help.

I went to the tree where I first officially met Xiao. He wasn't there, but it was only the early afternoon, so I couldn't say I was surprised. I decided to wait a few hours, practicing with the spear in the meantime. I didn't think it would actually be that hard to wield, but I obviously ended up to be very wrong about that.

I ended up resting and falling asleep under the tree after my limbs got so tired to the point where I could barely move my arms. When I woke up, it was dark and the stars were already gleaming in the sky. I lifted my head and saw someone's feet dangling from one of the tree branches just above me. I glanced up and luckily, it was Xiao.

"Oh, hey..." I greeted, rubbing my eyes, trying to get rid of the exhaustion.

"Hey."

"How long have you been here?" I asked.

"An hour," he replied as he continued staring at the stars.

I'm surprised he has free time at all, considering his job is protecting all of Liyue.

"Oh, why didn't you wake me up?" I queried as I stood up.

"You looked like you needed the rest, so I didn't disturb you," he muttered.

"Ah... Thank you," I blessed with a smile. "Well anyway, I was waiting here for you!"

He finally tore his vision from the sky, leaving all his attention on me, "Why?"

"I was gonna ask if you could maybe... Help me," I laughed nervously, picking up my spear. "With this."

He sighed, "I'm not surprised you need help."

"So... Is that a yes or a no? You don't have to, I'm sure you're already very busy," I added. "I wouldn't want to take away too much of your time."

"My duty is to protect Liyue. When I hear someone who needs help, I go to them," he stated, jumping off the branch and landing perfectly on his feet. "I'll help, as long as it keeps you out of trouble so I don't have to go save you again."

He ended up standing weirdly close to me before snatching my spear and taking a few steps back. I was a bit shocked but I quickly regained my composure after realizing he took my weapon.

"And how am I supposed to practice if I don't have my spear?" I questioned.

He threw it over and I tried catching it but I ended up falling since the ground was so muddy from the early morning rain. I yelped before shutting my mouth as my face pressed up against the dirt. Thankfully, none got in my mouth, but that didn't make me feel any less disgusting.

"Ow..." I whispered, still feeling my bones ache from flailing the spear around before.

"We're not starting today," Xiao concluded. "The ground is too easy to slip on and you're obviously already tired out. Get some rest tonight, then we can start tomorrow."

"Really!?" I gasped, my eyes sparkling with excitement. "What time!?"

"Meet me here tomorrow morning," he ordered.

"Thank you!" I grinned, slowly standing upright. "But for now... Can we stay here?"

"...Why?" He asked.

"Because I'd like to spend some time with you, if that's okay," I answered with a gentle smile as I walked closer to him. "We could talk, or we could sit in silence. Your choice."

"...Could you talk...?" He requested.

"Huh? What do you mean?" I furrowed my eyebrows as I gazed into his golden eyes.

"Can you just talk?" He repeated.

"...Sure?" I nodded hesitantly.

I headed over to the tree and sat with my back against it. I didn't care about the mud since my clothes were already ruined even before I slipped. I patted the spot next to me and Xiao reluctantly sat beside me. I guessed he didn't mind it that much either.

"So... You just want me to talk? Y'know, if I just end up talking to myself, I'll probably start ranting about my own problems and I don't think you'd like to hear about that," I said.

"I'll listen."

"Okay, if you say so."

I glanced up at the sky and exhaled. I could feel Xiao's sharp eyes following my every move, analyzing me closely. Still, he never said a word. I took a deep breath and started.

"I'm not very good at ranting or anything like that in front of other people, but I guess I'll try. Still not sure why you just wanna hear me talk, though..." I cleared my throat. "But anyway, I wanna master a weapon so you don't have to save me. I really appreciate when you do since I know I'd die if you didn't, but having to be saved by someone all the time makes me feel a bit... Weak."

Xiao shifted beside me but I kept my gaze up since I was a bit embarrassed and I didn't want to look him in the eye. It was too difficult.

"So I'm glad you're willing to help me," I continued. "I don't like relying on other people since the last time I did, it was my dad, and he ended up... Leaving. Sorry, am I getting too personal? I don't wanna bore you to death or anything, I'm sure you've heard more interesting things. I should stop-"

"Keep going."

I was still heavily confused, but I obliged anyway, "Okay... Oh, can I ask something?"

"What?"

"What's your favorite type of weather?" I asked.

"I don't concern myself with the weather," he scoffed. "But snow is nice."

"Good to know," I chuckled, still staring at the stars as they looked down on us. "Y'know, I feel like there's a star out there for me. I like to believe there's a certain star that has my name on it or something. You probably don't think of things so pointless like that, but I do... I guess it's just a way to distract myself. Am I annoying you? Sorry if I am."

"Stop apologizing. I... Rather enjoy listening to your voice."