Chapter 7

10 million dollars?!

I think about what that could mean for me, for my family, and my future college plans. That's life-changing! Based on the expressions on other people's faces, it means a lot for them too. 

"As I said, there's a reason each of you was chosen," Strickland says, taking in each of our faces, "all of you have a reason to need that kind of money, a reason that will keep you here throughout this process."

I look around at the faces of everyone here. What could be their reason for needing the money?

"But, we will give you a day to think it over. If by tonight you would rather go home, we promise to make that happen. Please think cautiously, though, because once the decision is made, there is no going back."

It's clear from the look on everyone's faces that no one will be going home after that kind of cash has been placed on the line. 

She rattles on a bit longer about expectations, rules, and just general procedures here on the compound. I half-listen to it all before we are told to finish up our day self-studying on the game before our individualized training session tomorrow. 

As she finishes we are all lead out by our guards, some people looking in shock, others still hesitant. I'm one of the last ones to leave and as I am pulled up, the guy named Ezra swings around and looks at me. 

"It's Eve, right?" He asks, slightly straining against his guard trying to pull him forward.

"Barrow," I correct him, Clark giving me a look. 

"Well, Barrow, if you are anything close to what your profile says about you, I hope we can be allies through this," Ezra says, smiling brightly. 

"If you are anything like your profile, then I know we'll be" Before he can respond he is led away out of the auditorium.

Clark leads me down the stairs toward the front of the auditorium but slows us down as Mr. Avery comes down to meet us. 

"Barrow, so good to meet ya," he sticks out his hand, giving mine a rough shake.

"Hi..." I say hesitantly. His demeanor is much more terrifying in person. 

"I'm glad you are here, Barrow," he says, looking me over cautiously. "I want you to know that I was one of the main advocates to get you here. We couldn't pass up the opportunity to have your mind for this"

"I guess I should be honored to have a fan. Would you mind explaining to me the gender variable of me being here then?" 

I'm being bold and overly confident in my approach to this question (I can tell by the way Clark next to me tightens up), but I deserve some answers. What's the worse that can happen?

Mr. Avery smirks and smiles deeply, "you're the brilliant one, aren't you? I think you should be able to figure it out"

I just shrug in response; "I just hope this doesn't turn around to make me a target. But like you said, my mind isn't one you can just take for granted"

His smile continues to deepen; "I like you already, Barrow. Listen, I will be meeting with you tomorrow individually so you can get comfortable with the equipment and uniform for the games. I hope your attitude will be just as spunky then."

"It's  not really something I can turn off," I say chuckling, "but yes, I will see you tomorrow"

༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄

By the end of the night, all 24 candidates are still listed as participating. I guess the 10 million dollars was a good incentive for getting people to stay.

The first game is set for two days, and the teams are waiting for us on our monitors: 12 on the blue team and 12 on the red. I am listed for the red team. 

 I spend the evening memorizing and learning more about the other guys on both teams. I figure if I'm going to do this and stay, then I better be the best player out there, especially being a girl.

I make a list of people I think are strong players on my team.

Ezra, someone who has already declared to be my ally, is definitely at the top of my list. His skills are similar to mine; a love for strategy, leadership, and competition. 

Drew,  the military kid, is also on my team.  I predict he might be taking the lead in coordinating our plan, especially due to his background. He's another player I am excited to see on the red team. 

Connor, the freckled ginger, may not look tough on the exterior, but his love for video games and technology could make him a strong player. He's someone I'm very interested in seeing in the game. 

Kieran, the surfer dude, would not be my top pick, but after reading his profile a bit more it's clear that his agility and quick thinking could be used to benefit our strategy. Let's just hope his bright blonde hair doesn't point him out to be an immediate target. 

I read over the other 7 names of my teammates and learn all about their backgrounds and skills. Staring at their faces makes me feel like I already know them, and then I wonder how many of the guys are staring at my profile at this very moment.

To be a strong player of any kind, one must know their competition. I scan over the blue players and find myself looking at the strengths and weaknesses. 

My immediate hesitation lies with Blake. With his history of violence and the quick interaction I  had with him today, he's one I am going to have to look out for. I do not doubt that he will not hesitate to play the game brutally if it means winning.

On the blue team, there is also the martial arts guy, a set of identical twins, a football quarterback, and a guy named Titus, who looks like a literal mountain. 

I scan and memorize the data for hours, but eventually my heavy eyes get the best of me and I drift off to a night of deep and dreamless sleep.