Chapter 4: Now what?

Charlotte's POV

''So, remember the guy I dated back in high school? Yeah, the guy that mom and dad and you kinda um...disliked? A lot? Well, we both kinda uh- ah fuck how do I do this...''

I curse under my breath. Anxiously rubbing the back of my neck, I frantically walk back and forth across my room. I was rehearsing, rehearsing how to confront my elder sister Caroline, to tell her that I am thinking about getting back with someone Caroline and our parents absolutely despised. Although my mom did clarify years back when she found out about us, (or rather, when Caroline told on me) that if I ask Harvey to wait just a few years more until I am in college and if he does end up waiting for me, then we could give it a try. I know my mom only told me that in order to keep me sane at that moment, but little do I know that she still wouldn't want Harvey to be the one her daughter marries.

I remember that day so vividly, both of us teenagers madly in love. My heart racing as I carefully opened the door and snuck out of my house, in my red and white pajamas and puppy slippers, making my way down the stairs as quickly as I could to meet him in the badminton courtyard, just beside my building. The afternoon sun dazzled as brightly as it could in the middle of the light blue sky as gentle soft breezes passed us by. The moment I saw him, the widest smile painted my face. I instantly ran and hugged him as tight as I could. My arms locked around his neck as he hugged me back just as tight. I look into his eyes. I notice how close we are, beginning to sense a tension rising between us. My first kiss..? I close and my eyes and we begin leaning our faces closer and closer until-

I am cut off from the flashback as my phone chimes and grabs my attention. ''Fuck...'' I curse again for the 50th time. It was Caroline on the phone. I sigh deeply, hoping not to sound or even feel nervous, which of course, I will. I shake my head and groan to myself, ''If only we knew that day Caroline was watching us, gosh...''. I pick myself up, clearing my voice.

I answer her call.

...

''He did what? He actually texted?!'', I could just imagine Caroline's face in my head, her jaw dropped while laughing in disbelief as she said that.

''Well yup, uh, yeah he did um-'', I shut my eyes close, my voice shaking as I scream internally, constantly cursing at myself, fuck fuck fuck...

''Well what do you wanna do? You think you could give him a chance?'', Caroline asked, sounding really casual and calm, perhaps a tint of disbelief in her voice.

''...Do you think I should?'', I say, squeaking much like a terrified little mouse.

''Well, I personally still believe that boy isn't fit for our family, do you really think mom and dad would agree to this? But if you really want to, you could start things off as maybe just, mere friends, get to know him a little hm? It's been years since you last met, pretty sure you and him both have a lot to catch up on.'', Caroline sounding rather considerate about giving Harvey and I a chance began soothing me. Maybe she's just in a good mood, I ponder to myself. I smile slightly, thank her for her advice and end the call. I just stay there, sitting on the floor, staring at the blank screen of my phone as it beeped. Maybe I should...

Harvey's POV

Standing on the balcony staring out into the horizon, I ponder upon the situation with Charlotte and me. I gaze into the sunset, the orange-gold stretched far and wide, the color of fire hearths and tangerines. It's but the reflection of the dawn, the promise of the rising sun that comes after the velvety night has had its say and the land has rested once more.

"I should probably ask someone else about it, to get their opinion on this. If I decide on my own I'll probably end up making a mistake," I say to myself. I think to myself, "who should I text? I can't ask Hank, he's just gonna act indifferent and invalidate my feelings, he won't be able to give appropriate attention to the situation. I can't ask Rick, he doesn't have enough experience with stuff like these; he'll probably end up giving wrong advice." In a moment of epiphany I exclaim, "Oh wait! I know who to open up to. I'll just ask Robert." I rush to my room to pick up my phone, I text Robert, 'Hey Rob, you got a minute? I need to talk about something.' About a minute later he replies, "Um... I'm a bit busy right now pal. But I'll be back home in an hour, mind if we talk then?' I sigh and reply. 'Sure man no problem' but little did I express my urgency to let off this, raging storm that's been wreaking havoc in my mind.

"I can't stay like this, I have to get rid of this pain somehow. Maybe watch a movie or something to take my mind off of this." I think to myself. I grab my laptop and sit on the bed, leaning against the headboard. Just as I'm about to open the lid, someone knocks on the door

Knock knock

Arching my eyebrows, I get a bit curious as to who it could be. I put away the laptop and get up; I walk to the door. Opening the door I see Tyrell. "Haven't seen you in a while," I say as I smile faintly. Tyrell laughs as he says, "And you never called me either, it's like you forgot I even exist." I laugh quietly as he comes in. "Have a seat" I say. Tyrell pulls the chair from my desk and sits down, while I sit down on the bed. "So what's up with you lately," says Tyrell.

I sigh as I look up at the ceiling and say exhaustively, "I don't even know where to start man..."

"No problem," Tyrell says, "take your time to gather your thoughts, I got time. Hope you don't mind me letting myself in." I answer, "No it's alright don't worry..." Tyrell adds, " I know your mom isn't too keen on us talking and all-" "Keen on us talking? Remember all the trouble she went through to get rid of you?" I interrupt and laugh. Tyrell laughs as well and says, "Oh of course I do, how can I forget." He looks up at me and says, "So, wanna tell me what's been going on in your mind." I look away and sigh and say, "Okay so... I texted Charlotte the other day, you remember her right?" Tyrell replies, "Yeah yeah I remember her, does she umm, still remember your promise?" I answer, "She said she wants to think about it, she said she needs some time-" Tyrell interrupts, "And now you're afraid if she's gonna say no and you'll be left with that scar with you for the rest of your life, affecting every aspect of your life." I nod my head slowly and say, "Yep... you know how ugly these heartbreaks can get, and given the serotonin deficient, unmotivated, individual I am, I'm probably gonna get into an endless loop of trying to escape pain while avoiding all responsibilities."

Just then mom opens the door just enough to see me on the bed. She asks, "Harvey? Who are you talking with?" Looking back, to face her I say, "Oh no one, mom. Just studying" She asks, "Are you alright?" I smile and say, "Yes, yes I am. I'll be down in a minute" "Well alright, don't stay alone for too long okay," she says. I nod my head. She closes the door and leaves.

Tyrell says, "So... I see your problem-" I intervene, "Why can't I just be happy alone... Why do I need to depend on someone else for my happiness." "Hey, hey, look. Whatever will happen will happen. If she says no, we'll deal with it later on, but for now, let's stay hopeful alright? Let's hope that she's gonna say yes. Okay, pal?" I scoff as I look down, I say ''alright...". Tyrell smiles at me and says, "Good." He stands up and rests his hand on my shoulder and says, "You look after yourself and spend time with family and friends okay? It'll be more harmful to your health if you stay alone. You look after yourself now." He walks away and leaves through the door. I sigh deeply. I think to myself, "He's right I should stay around other people, it'll help drown the sorrow and keep me from thinking much about all of it." I stand up, close my eyes and take a deep breath. I grab my jacket and walk out the door.

Thud