𝐨𝐧𝐞

𝐢'𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐦𝐞
𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐦𝐞
𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞
𝐬𝐨 𝐈 𝐠𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐚 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐧𝐞𝐚𝐫
𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧' 𝐜𝐫𝐚𝐳𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐭𝐚 𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝
-𝐤𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐝

"Promise me that you'll be safe and don't drink unless you're with trustworthy people, okay? Better yet, don't drink at all! Who needs alcohol? Not us, right? Oh, and don't forget to text me when you get there and call me before you go to sl-" rolling my eyes, I smiled and reached out, grabbing my mom by her shoulders to yank her into a hug as she begins to sniff, wrapping her arms around my shoulders. My mother was a very protective woman- a helicopter mom you could say. But, I wouldn't have it any other way, especially in this world. After all those years of her hovering and constantly asking how and where I was, I was smart and ready to face the world. With some occasional help from her, of course. After all, does one really ever stop needing their mom?

"Mum, I'll be fine. You don't have to worry," I pulled away from the hug and took both of her hands in mine, "I have all of my things, phone's already on silent for the drive, I have you on speed dial, and I'm ready. Okay?" my mom smiled at me with teary eyes and rubbed my shoulders gently as she studied me, trying to think of reasons I would believe in to stay home and not leave her. What she didn't know was that I was thinking the same thing, not really ready to leave yet, no matter what I said. I wanted to start over; be a kid again. But time was cruel and I was stuck where I was, a blossoming adult that was clueless to the road ahead.

"I know, sweetie. I'm just not ready. You're my baby and I love you," she began tearing up again, so with comically wide eyes staring up into the sun, I pulled her back in and allowed her to cry on my shoulder as I, myself, began to feel the familiar burning of my eyes. I quickly bit my lip to shove it down and patted my mom's back. I needed to stay strong for her. If I started crying, there was no way I was leaving. I'd be here forever, which is what I really wanted, but we couldn't afford that right now.

"I'm gonna miss you, mum," I whispered as I squeezed her one last time and finally made my way to my car- a silver jeep. Slamming the door, I reached out the window and grabbed my mom's hand, allowing her to go over everything one more time. If it made her feel better, I would listen to her rant about road safety for as long as it took, but I didn't have the time for it right now.

"If you have an emergency of any kind, call me and I'll be there in a heartbeat. Okay? Never hesitate to call me, no matter what time it is or where you are," I nodded again and began buckling up, checking my mirrors. "You remember how to get there, right? It'll be dark before you get to the city, so remember to drive slower and turn your brights on," I heard her shout as I started the engine and rolled the window up, fiddling with the air conditioner.

"Yes, mom. Now, I have to go or I'm never going to get there. I'll see you on the next holiday, whenever that is," I smiled widely at her as she snapped a couple of pictures with her phone and finally took a step back, blowing me a kiss.

"Be safe! I love you!" I parked for a second and did the same, waving as I shouted back the goodbye everyone said to their close ones. Pulling out of the driveway, I took a deep breath, looked both ways, and pressed the gas.