𝟎𝟎𝟏𝟎

'i've lost all resistance and crossed the borderline.'

🏹🕊

I could have never thought that I would be terrified to speak to Owen. He was my best friend and that could possibly change in the upcoming minutes.

I ran my hand through my hair, texting him to come over. I told Savannah that I would need a few hours alone in the apartment, so she and Charlie went shopping.

My heart raced as I waited, staring at the door. A million thoughts raced through my mind, making me even more nervous. I was just about to text him that he didn't have to come, but a knock came from the door.

I sighed, wiping my sweaty hands on my jeans as I walked to the door. Opening the door, I smiled shortly, moving out of the doorway. I didn't look once at him.

"Hey, you okay?" He asked, walking inside.

I swallowed, closing the door. "Actually, I need to talk to you about something." I walked over to the couch, sitting down.

"Okay.. what is it?" He followed me over, sitting beside me.

"Uh.." I stopped, trying to figure out how to explain it to him. I took a deep breath and continued.

"Um, so I have been dealing with this for a while and before you like hate me and not want to be friends anymore, please just hear me out.. After spending all this time together, helping each other through things, and you know- confiding in each other.. I think I have-" I cleared my throat, taking a deep breath. I didn't dare look him in the eyes.

"I think I have developed feelings for you...I like you, Owen.." I admitted, looking down.

"Jeez, am I that bad? You look bummed." Owen joked.

I shook my head, laughing dryly. "I'm serious.. I didn't want tell you."

"Why not?" He asked.

"I was scared that you were going to hate me because you don't feel the same." I sighed, running my hands through my hair.

"I never said I didn't feel the same." He said, nervously.

"Wait, what?" I looked up at him, not sure I heard him correctly.

"I never said I didn't feel the same." He repeated, smiling.

"Are you serious?" I asked, surprised. Owen nodded, looking down sheepishly.

Without another word, I hugged him tightly. Tears brimmed my eyes, my initial anxiety fading away. Sniffling, I laid my head on his shoulder as he wrapped his arms around me.

"I thought I was going to make you leave.." I whispered, a tear falling down my cheek.

"I would never leave you." Owen said quietly, tightening his grip on me. Minutes passed as we sat in silence, enjoying each other's embrace. My eyes began to feel heavy as I listened to the sound of his heartbeat and before I knew it, I had fallen asleep.

• • •

I woke up on the couch, tucked in a blanket. Confused, I rubbed my eyes and sat up, looking for Owen only to find him at the end of the couch, typing on his phone.

When he noticed that I was awake, he smiled, putting down the phone. "Well, good morning."

I yawned, stretching. "Good morning." My voice was groggy. "Did Savannah ever come back?"

"Yeah. She came back like an hour after you fell asleep." He told me.

"Thank you for staying. You didn't have to." I got up from the couch, folding the blanket up.

"I know, but I wanted to." He said.

Silence fell over the room, making me nervous. I stared at the coffee table, thinking. I started biting my nails to take my mind off of things. Owen must have noticed because he reached over, putting my hand on my lap, grabbing onto my other.

I smiled up at him, looking down at our hands. It's not like we've never held hands, but after the night before, it just felt different.

I broke the silence by clearing my throat, "Can I ask you a question?"

Owen looked over at me, "Yeah. What is it?" He rubbed the back of my hand, mindlessly.

"What happens now?" I asked quietly, cringing at my own awkwardness.

"I'm not sure. I mean we both like each other, but do you want to take this further?" He swallowed, nervously.

"I do... but if you don't want to then that's fine-" I rambled but Owen cut me off.

"So do I." He said quickly before laughing at his eagerness.

My cheeks flushed as a huge smile flashed over my face. "You do?"

"Yeah." Owen nodded, smiling almost as wide as I was.

"So.....boyfriend." I laughed, looking over at him.

"So......girlfriend." He mocked me.

"I just wanted to hear you say it." I laughed, leaning my head on his shoulder. Grinning, I sighed in relief. I could barely contain my happiness. I couldn't believe that Owen Joyner was my boyfriend.