Chapter 3

That evening, Michael, Sam and I headed to the Boardwalk. Sam with Mom on her way in to work at Max's Video, and I rode on the back of Michael's bike with him. I wandered around with him for a while, laughing when I saw him buying a new leather jacket. "Oh, big brother. You're trying too hard! You're cute, sweet and a great catch. If she can't see that, she's blind!" I said, as he grinned and kissed me on the forehead before shooing me off.

I found where he'd parked his bike, and hopped up on the railing, pulling my drawing pad out once again. I began sketching Michael and Star as they walked towards me in quick, efficient strokes, capturing their likeness. As I was closing my book, I heard Michael asking Star if she wanted to get something to eat. I looked up as I heard the bikes. Michael had already climbed on his, offering Star his arm. I slid down off the rail as we were surrounded by the boys.

"Where ya going, Star?" David asked, looking the three of us over. His gaze stopped on me for a moment before returning to Star's.

"For a ride. This is Michael," she replied. "And this?" he asked, nodding towards me. She shrugged, unsure of who I was. I smiled and said softly, "I'm Madison, Michael's sister."

"Let's go," Michael said, offering to help her onto the bike. As she went to step up, David's voice stopped her. "Star?" She turned quickly, looking disappointed and angry. There was a moment of tension before she climbed onto the back of David's bike, causing him to smile and Michael to frown. The other boys laughed.

"You know where Hudson's Bluff is overlooking the point?" David asked.

"I can't beat your bike," Michael replied.

"You don't have to beat me, Michael. You just have to try and keep up. And bring Sweet Sister along for the ride, why don't you?" he said, looking at me. I raised my brows in surprise, but clambered onto the back of Michael's motorcycle when he offered me his arm.

Dwayne looked back at Laddie, "We're going for a ride," he said, and I watched with a smile as the little boy wrapped his arms around the older rider. Laddie looked over at me and grinned, and I smiled back at him. "Hi there," I said, just before we took off. He waved and then wrapped his arms back around Dwayne. And then we began to ride. Down the boardwalk stairs and across the beach, through the woods where the fog began to roll in getting thicker and thicker. I knew the cliff edge was getting closer and closer and just prayed that Michael would see it before we went over. The boys were whooping and hollering as we flew along the ground, we were neck-and-neck with David and Star when suddenly Michael stopped the bike, sending us skidding close to the edge of the cliff.

Unfortunately the bike landed on my ankle, and I yelped in pain. "Oh god, Maddie, are you okay?" I nodded, as Paul and Marko helped haul me out from under it. "What the hell are you doing, huh? You could've killed her!" Michael screamed at him. Michael turned on David, hitting him as both I and Star shouted "No!"

Paul and Marko hauled him back as Michael shouted, "Just you! Come on, just you!" at David. I stood carefully, putting most of my weight on the leg that hadn't been trapped under the bike. Before I knew it, Dwayne was next to me, his arm wrapped around my side, helping me to stand easier. I looked up at him, easily a foot taller than my diminutive five-foot-three. "Thanks," I said, before my mouth decided to finish the sentence with, "Jesus, you're tall." He snickered and looked down at me. "And you're short."

"Yeah, yeah. Where the hell are you when I need to change a lightbulb and can't reach?" I said, poking him in the side and grinning. He laughed harder. "You're alright, Princess."

I looked up as I heard David speaking to my brother. "How far are you willing to go, Michael?" he asked. Everyone climbed back on their bikes, Michael and Dwayne carefully helping me on. I wrapped my arms around Michael and we drove after the boys. We stopped when we reached a set of wooden stairs leading down towards what appeared to be a cave of some kind. There were loads of "Keep Out" and "Caution" signs surrounding the place, as well as chain link fencing.