Chapter 5

My eyes opened wide in surprise. "Uh, yeah, I guess. If you want me to?"

"Yeah!" "Play for us!" "Go on, play!" Paul and Marko shouted. Even Dwayne nodded, handing my violin case to me. Laddie hopped off the bed, carrying his Coca-cola and sat down on the other side of Dwayne and watched me. I looked down at him. "How 'bout it, Little Man, should I play?"

He nodded, his hair flopping in his face and his eyes filled with interest. I stood, thinking about what song I would sing. I closed my eyes and felt a breeze from the ocean wrap around me and lift my hair and I smiled, knowing what I would sing. I tapped my toe for a second to catch my rhythm.

I hear your voice on the wind
And I hear you call out my name

"Listen, my child," you say to me
"I am the voice of your history
Be not afraid, come follow me
Answer my call, and I'll set you free"

I am the voice in the wind and the pouring rain
I am the voice of your hunger and pain
I am the voice that always is calling you
I am the voice, I will remain

I am the voice in the fields when the summer's gone
The dance of the leaves when the autumn winds blow
Ne'er do I sleep thoughout all the cold winter long
I am the force that in springtime will grow

I am the voice of the past that will always be
Filled with my sorrow and blood in my fields
I am the voice of the future, bring me your peace
Bring me your peace, and my wounds, they will heal

I am the voice in the wind and the pouring rain
I am the voice of your hunger and pain
I am the voice that always is calling you
I am the voice

I am the voice of the past that will always be
I am the voice of your hunger and pain
I am the voice of the future
I am the voice, I am the voice

As I pulled the bow across the string, ending the last note, I noticed it was entirely silent. I opened my eyes to see very different emotions in each gaze, but a slight sense of awe radiating from all of them. I blushed and bit my lip.

"How are you not on a stage getting paid money?" Paul asked, his jaw still slightly hanging open. I giggled, and dropped stance. "Probably because I never wanted that. I enjoy playing, it's a release for me. Being on stage, that would be too much pressure constantly, I'd burn out. I don't ever want to lose my love for music," I said truthfully.

There was a tug on my shirt and I looked down to see Laddie. I crouched down in front of him. "Maddie, can I play?" he asked.
"No, Laddie, that's an expensive instrument," Star said.

I raised my hand to quiet her. I looked into his bright brown eyes. "Do you think you can be very careful and not drop it?" I asked. He nodded vigorously. "Ok, my man, follow me," I said and walked over to the couch where I sat down, all eyes on me. I showed Laddie how to hold the violin and the bow, explaining what each piece was, what the strings and frets were, and how to draw the bow across the strings. I handed the bow over and let him go at it.

We all winced when he hit a sour note, but I was rather pleased when he kept at it for a full fifteen minutes, determined to at least get the first line of "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" correct. When he managed it, I applauded him, as did Dwayne. "Well done, sweetheart!" I said and kissed the top of his forehead.

"Play more for us, Maddie?" he asked. I looked around and the others nodded.

"Please, Princess. We need something beautiful after that racket," David teased Laddie.

"Alright," I agreed and stood, taking my stance. Suddenly I spotted something in the corner beside Dwayne. "Dwayne, is that yours?" I asked, using my bow to point at the acoustic guitar half-hidden beside a shelf of books. He looked surprised, but nodded. "May I?" I asked.