One

I was late. It wasn't an unusual occurrence but this time I knew I was in for it. It was a big day. I was to be on my best behaviour and so on and so forth. I was lucky to even be included. They had reminded me a billion times in the last week and a half. Even so I wandered leisurely up the insanely extravagant and ridiculously long driveway to my fathers also incredibly ridiculous large house. Being a famous CEO of his grandfather's business meant that he could afford outlandish luxuries such as a three story house with it's own private garden, pool and tennis court. No one in my family even played tennis; try and explain the logic there. 

I reached the front door, puffed as per usual. I really needed to consider doing some exercise or something. I took a deep breath before opening it and I immediately regretted it. The staff (yes they also had staff) were running around like chooks with their heads cut off trying to get the place pristine and spotless before the 'big important' dinner tonight. I rolled my eyes at their panicked state before searching the lower level of the house for any signs of my family. I found my stepmother Florence in the dining room yelling out instructions every few minutes. A glass of red wine sat comfortably in her right hand as she flipped through a display folder finalising tonight's colour scheme. Yes, we had a colour scheme for dinner. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes as she had finally noticed my presence. Her lips formed the tight, disgusted line that they did whenever she saw me.

"You're late," she said flatly.

"Yeah, sorry," I replied slowly. Her lips formed a tighter line as if my voice alone was the source of all the pain and suffering in the world.

"You're not wearing that," she said not even looking at me anymore. She brought her red wine to her red lips as she waited for my response.

"No," I said looking down at my scuffed boots, faded jeans and overworn jumper.

"Go change into something appropriate they will be here in half an hour and I expect you to be as presentable my children."

I hated how she called them "my children" instead of 'your siblings'. Every time she did I felt as if it distanced me more from the family. Without another word I left and rushed up the stairs taking them two at a time. My mission to make it to my room without bumping into the rest of my family was cut short when I came face to face with my father at the top of the stairs. He was already in his suit, the smell of his aftershave so strong it almost blinded me. At the same time it made me feel incredibly safe in stark contrast to my delightful stepmother.

"You're late Sofia," he said shaking his head.

"I'm sorry," I apologised again, more genuinely this time. I didn't like disappointing my father, it just tended to happen without me even trying.

"Hurry up and get ready and please best behaviour tonight," he warned me again.

"Yes dad, I'm sorry I'll be good I swear," I sighed.

"I mean it Sofia."

"I will be. But if you're so concerned why don't you lock me under the stairs like Harry Potter, that seemed to work for his family."

"Sofia," he sighed clearly exasperated. 

I pushed past him and walked down the hallway to my room closing my door behind me in one swift movement. I breathed a sigh of relief as I retreated into the familiar comfort of my room. As a rule I always kept the curtains closed as I enjoyed the dark. When I thought about it, it made me sound kind of sad and depressed. But it was actually the opposite as to me darkness was comforting and safe. 

I stumbled through my room and collapsed onto my bed. Not a single fibre of my being wanted to go to this dumb important business dinner and pretend to play happy family when we we're anything but. I pushed myself off the bed with great difficulty before switching on my light so I could at least see my clothes. I pulled out a black full-length jumpsuit and a black blazer that my stepmother had bought me for formal occasions such as these. I almost vomited just at the thought of having to wear it. I frowned at myself in the mirror after I was dressed. I hated getting dressed up for such stupid things. The idea that what you're wearing affects whether or not you get a business deal is some weird concept society needs to get rid of.