Twenty

It was pouring with rain. The skies were a blackened grey colour, and the streets glistened as the rain pelted down onto the ground and against the windows of the café. The bad weather meant that it was quiet today; there were probably only four tables full and a couple of wet stragglers that would pop in for a coffee every now and then. No one wanted to be out in this weather, I didn't blame them. I had to swallow my pride this morning, and accept Loren's offer of a ride to work, because there's no way I could've walked without getting soaked to the bone. I finished clearing some plates off a table and took them into the back, placing them into the dishwasher.

"Hey there," Loren said, popping up behind me. She had just been serving some latte to a customer. She had spilt some on her shirt, but I don't think she noticed, or cared. She leant back against the counter next to me, as I moved to stack some dishes.

"So, have you heard from Declan?" She couldn't hide the stupid cheeky smile on her face. I refrained from rolling my eyes at her.

"Yes, he texted me last night," I nodded, avoiding eye contact with her.

"And?"

"Nothing really, he just thanked me for helping him yesterday," I shrugged.

"So he's okay with his parents?"

"I think so," I answered. The offer his father made to him yesterday had left everyone else in the room in shock, especially Amanda. Declan had hesitated a first, he later told me, that he worried it might be some kind of trap to lure him back into the family business. So he told his dad that he was willing to talk about it. I left them to it, so they could talk it out, it was a family matter for Declan, and I didn't want to impose more than I already had. I knew Amanda probably had a lot to say. I just hoped Declan could handle it, and I hoped my absence might make her a bit more lenient. 

"So he's taking the photography course, right?" Loren asked.

"Yes, he accepted the offer. He didn't give me all the details about what he settled on with his parents though. He said he'd call me today."

"Very interesting," she smiled.

"What?"

"So are you going to say it?"

"Say what?"

"That I was right," she laughed, picking up a dishtowel and starting to dry the dishes that had been washed. "That the almighty Loren, your best friend, told you he wouldn't stay away."

"I'm starting to think you're developing a god complex."

"Developing?" she joked and I couldn't help but laugh. I suppose she did turn out to be right this time. But just because we were over one hurdle, didn't mean they're weren't going to be others. There always were.

"Stop worrying," Loren said, hitting me with the dishtowel.

"I'm not," I lied.

"Please, your face says it all."

I was about to reply when I heard the door ding, signalling another customer was here.

"I'll go see," Loren said, throwing me the dishtowel and handing me the glass she had been drying. I laughed, knowing she did offered to greet the customer so she didn't have to do any more dishes. I continued where she left off, lost in my own little world, until Loren popped her head back round the corner.

"Okay, first of all, I totally approve," she whispered.

"What are you on about now?"

"Someone's here to see you," she sang.