Three

The next week passed by in a blur. I spent my time working, hiding in bed or sleeping over at Loren's trying to avoid the fact I was going to have to spend ten days non-stop with my 'loving family'. I was lounging on Loren's couch the afternoon before I had to leave while Loren ate Doritos next to me, her every crunch putting me more on edge.

"You are literally the loudest eater ever," I said kicking her in the leg softly.

"Please, you try and eat a chip quietly, I bet you can't," she said being sure to crunch extra loud on the next bite.

"I bet I would do it quieter than you," I said. I ate one and I won.

"Whatever," she huffed but she smiled at me a second later.

"What?" I asked.

"Are you excited?"

"For what?"

"Ah, Tahiti," she said as if I was stupid.

"Ah, no," I said mimicking her tone.

"Why not?"

"You know why?"

"Don't let them ruin your holiday - seriously how long has it been since you left the country?" she asked seriously.

"Since I went to Paris with you and your mum two years ago," I said honestly. Actually that was the only time I had ever left the country.

"Exactly. I don't care that your company sucks balls, you're going to fucking Tahiti and you're going to love it," she demanded.

"Yes ma'am," I said giving her a mock salute. She laughed but then sat up and bit straighter, looking at me closely.

"I'm really sorry Sof."

"For what?"

"For your stupid family," she sighed, looking at her hands but then she glanced up at me smiling. I knew that smile. That was her I-have-amazing-news-that-is-going-to-rock-your-world smile.

"What?" I asked eagerly.

"Well, I am prepared to make you a deal," she said her smile growing.

"Well I talked to mum and she finally agreed to let you move in here for at least the summer, but I know we can push it longer," her smile was so big now it reached the far corners of her face and sparkled in her eyes. I knew my expression mirrored hers.

"ARE YOU SERIOUS!" I shouted. She nodded. "OH MY GOD LOZ I LOVE YOU!" I hugged her and she pulled me close back. I was finally going to be free of the suffocation of being hated and unwanted; for a summer at least.

"Wait?" I said as Loren's words caught up with me "What deal?"

Her smile faded a little but was still present as she looked down a little nervously before recovering and looking me boldly in the eye.

"Go to Tahiti and try to get along-" I opened my mouth and tried to cut her off but she talked over my protests. "I know for a fact that you will never completely feel free until you reach some sort of middle ground with them, especially your Dad. You need to try and forgive him or at least learn the whole story so you can understand," she finished. I opened my mouth to argue but nothing came. I knew she was right, I didn't want her to be but she was. She was also offering me a way out of that house so I just nodded.

"Okay, I make no promises but I will try to try and not hate them so much," I told her. Loren laughed but took it anyway.

"Deal then?" she asked.

"Deal," I confirmed. We shook on it so it was legit. "Now I may need you to drive me home, because I haven't started packing."

"Of course you haven't," Loren shook her head disappointed, but stood up and grabbed her keys from the table.