Nine

"Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory."

DR. SEUSS

When they finally reached the tree, Bree was glad

When they finally reached the tree, Bree was glad. It had been a long trek, and she didn't want to find out that they were too late.

"Minimal charring. It's an impressive conductor. Let's get started." Beetee told them.

Beetee then walked to the tree as he started to wrap his metal wire around out. Around and around it went. Bree could feel her head spinning as it made her think about the cornucopia. As if following her train of thought, Finnick pulled her in closer to him.

"Typically, a lightning strike contains five billion joules of energy," Beetee warned them, "we don't want to be anywhere in the vicinity when this hits. Katniss and Johanna, you go together now. Take this. Unspool it carefully. Make sure the entire coil is in the water. Do you understand? Then head to the tree at the 2:00 sector. We'll meet you there."

"I'm gonna go with them as a guard," Peeta told them.

"No, no, no," Beetee complained, "you're staying here to protect me. And the tree."

"No, I need to go with her." Peeta shook his head. He wasn't going to leave Katniss.

"There are two Careers out there," Bette told Peeta. He was kindly ignoring Bree and Finnick, "I need two guards."

"Finnick and Bree can protect you just fine on their own," Peeta denied.

"Why can't Finnick and Johanna stay with you," Katniss asked, "and Peeta and I'll take the coil?"

"You all agreed to keep me alive till midnight, correct?" Beetee snapped.

"It's his plan," Johanna snapped, "we all agreed to it."

Bree, hearing  the argument, decided to step in, "is there a problem here?" Bree asked as she stepped forwards.

"Excellent question," Beetee commented pointedly.

"No. There's no problem," Katniss murmured.

"All right, let's go!" Johanna called as she started to walk away.

When they were a little way away, Bree gently took her hands from Finnick's. When he made a move to follow her, she put a calm hand on his chest.

"I'm just going to have a quick word with Peeta," Bree murmured to him, "I won't leave you eyesight."

Finnick nodded begrudgingly as Bree headed over to where Peeta was.

"I'm sorry about the others," Bree apologised as she sat down, "I would have offered to help, but I don't think Finnick would have coped. He can about cope if I'm a few feet away from him. I don't think anybody could stop him if I left his sights."

"It's okay," Peeta told her, "it's not you I'm annoyed at. You and Finnick are married, and I wouldn't want to separate you. Especially after the Jabberjays. The way he just lost it when he heard you screaming. I couldn't make you leave him after that. It's just making me leave Katniss I don't want to do."

"You love her," Bree reassured him, squeezing his arm, "I get it."

"Thanks," Peeta smiled at her, "you might want to go back to Finnick, though. He keeps looking like he is about to come over here but is only staying away out of politeness to us."

Bree locekd oevr her shoud to see Finnick, "I think you right," Bree murmeerd.

Bree stood up and was halfway back to Finnick when she heard a scream. Bree immediately took off running in the direction it had come from. Bree kept calling for Johanna and Katniss as she ran, hoping to come across one of them. She could hear Finnick calling her name. Bree should stop and let him catch up, but Bree needed to check on Johanna and Katniss more. She couldn't lose another friend.

When Bree heard a grunting a little way off, she sprints in the direction. Bree came across the sigh of Johanna trying to hold of Brutas and Enobaria. Bree grabbed a knife, throwing it at Brutas just as he turned and saw her. The blade sunk into his eye. The cannon went off a second later. One down, one to go, Bree thought grimly. Enobaria, as if realising that she was now outnumbered, took off running. Johanna and Bree looked at each other. They didn't know whether to go back to the others or try to catch Enobarier. Bree realising that she had completely abandoned Finnick turned around to run back to the lightning tree. She could see and hear as the storm clouds started to amass above her.

"Finnick," Bree screamed at the top of her lungs.

"Bree," came the faint call from Finnick.

Bree adjusted the direction she was running in as she carried ongoing. What Bree wasn't ready for was the massive explosion that ripped her from her feet and sent her flying back into a tree. Bree felt her head crash into a tree as she lost unconsciousness for the second time that day. All that was left on Bree's mind as she faded into darkness was the hope Finnick would be okay.