01:10

"Oh, duality," Serene attempted to joke to lighten the tense atmosphere

"Oh, duality," Serene attempted to joke to lighten the tense atmosphere. "I see you, I see you."

"Just think of it as something a part of our deal. Your joining is going to lead you to a lot of misfortunes so I should at least even out the deal," Shotaro explained. "So that it's fair."

"Nothing in this world is fair, don't you agree?", Serene questioned, finally getting the courage to look at him in the eyes. "Don't try to make the impossible seem possible."

"I agree, but why not?"

"You'll only give me hope," she faintly responded, her head dropping down. "I don't like false hope and fake promises. They'll just hurt either one in the end, probably even both."

Speechless about her statement, he quietly stood beside her. He didn't know how to handle the situation given. All he could do was watch her overthink and be engulfed by her thoughts and emotions.

"I'm acting too much as Ahn Inseol, this is crazy. Maybe it's because you're the only person who knows my identity. Maybe that's why I feel comfortable yet vulnerable with you," Serene confessed, glancing over at the cold-hearted boy she once thought was warm-hearted. "Or it could be the wine that's making me way too honest."

"It's the wine," a prompt response was given to her. "We should leave before Taeyong notices that we're gone."

Shotaro pressed a couple of buttons to bring the walls back up and the two of them made it down to the main floor of the base. He looked around to see if there was anyone by. He spotted Xiaojun who had just entered.

"Hey Xiaojun, bring the new recruit to the shared bedroom," Shotaro ordered. "I think the wine from earlier is just hitting her now."

"Right away," Xiaojun acknowledged. "What's in it for me?"

"Your life being spared," Shotaro deadpanned and left the two at the center of the base.

Serene and Xiaojun made their way to the shared bedroom which was nearby. Serene wasn't drunk but her vision was hazy. It must've been all the tiredness from the day, as it was her first day after all.

"I've brought you here safely," Xiaojun stated as he sat down on one of the lower bunk beds. "I wonder what made you the center of attention, even getting Shotaro and Taeyong's attention. Must be special."

"I'm just better than you, dimwit!"

"Yes, you're better at getting affected by alcohol than me," Xiaojun groaned and took his leave, but turned off the lights beforehand.

🧋

"Wake up, new recruit," Yuta woke the girl up by knocking on the bottom of her bed. "You have basic training to learn before doing your assigned task."

"Five more-"

A gunshot sound was heard which made Serene jump out of bed. The sudden fire had woken up all the senses of the girl.