The Vigilante

For @FarisFanaticP012
Congrats for getting the hiccstrid reference in the Blind chapters.

Also, Ramadan Kareem.
................................

".....witness has claimed to see a new hero in town. Our sources are speculating that this new vigilante may just replace the local superhero that has disappeared...."

She turned the television off.

One year.

One year of grief.

One year of misery.

It's only been one year. How dare the news assumed some newbie hero could replace her husband?

She slipped onto the couch and covered her face in frustration.

How dare they.

How dare they.

How dare they!

A tear of frustration slipped from the corner of her eyes unwillingly.

She vividly remembered that dreadful day a year ago.

How worried she was that he hadn't return from his mission as scheduled. Granted, their job was dangerous, leading to missions lasting longer than expected.

However, when Fang returned to the station, barely alive with burn marks all over, alone, she thought of the worse.

Her suspicions were confirmed when Fang showed her what was clasped in his fist.

A watch.

Boboiboy's power watch.

She broke down there and there. Everything else that happened passed in a blur.

A funeral without a body.

A prayer for her husband.

Sympathy and concern from her friends and family.

Although, deep down in her heart, she wanted to scream that her husband wasn't dead yet.

Of course, she knew that would be ridiculous.

Besides, if her husband was still alive,

Why hasn't he returned?

................................................

"Yes, mom. I didn't forget the thing that you needed"

"........"

"Of course I bought Tok Aba's groceries as well. He didn't ask for much anyways"

"......."

She pushed the trolley overflowing with goods and groceries out of the supermarket. It was heavy, but it wasn't a big deal. She had super powers anyways.

She blatantly ignored surprised onlookers who gawked at her as she pushed the trolley with one hand while the other held her phone to her ear.

"I just got out of the supermarket. I'm on my way to my car"

".............."

"What? You forgot to add rice onto the list?"

"..........."

"Mom. I just bought them last week"

"............"

"You want brown rice instead?"

".........."

As she listened to her mother ramble on about the benefits of brown rice and why they needed those instead of white rice instead, Yaya started to get annoyed. Her mother was really getting into her skin.

Unfortunately, she was losing focus on her surroundings.

Not realising that she was walking faster.

Not realising that she was crossing the road.

Not realising that a car was speeding towards her.

Not until a stranger's voice screamed from afar. "Look out!!"

She turned her head, eyes wide open at the SUV speeding towards her. All thoughts went blank, fear paralysed her entire being, limbs unable to move to safety.

She waited for the dreadful impact.

Three....

Two....

It never came.

Rather, she was tackled to the ground, groceries spilled all over the tar. The cursed vehicle passed by, barely hitting her in the face.

She hissed as she felt the skin of her right knee opened a wound due to the rough surface of the tar. Her hands even had blisters and bled a little.

Even so, it was better than being dead.

She sat up properly to face her saviour. "Thanks for-"

Her heart dropped. Sitting at close proximity, was the source of her frustration this morning.

The Vigilante.

There he stood, black mask covering his face. Black cap shadowing his eyes. He form was lean, but his arms were covered with bandaids all over. He extended a hand to her, offering to help her up.

But she could only manage to stare with eyes wide open.
"Bo.. boboiboy?"

He fled.