The Vigilante V

He did the right thing.

He kept repeating this mantra over and over again, trying to convince himself to stop thinking. Stop letting his anxiety cripple his stance. Stop letting himself overthink about her.

She deserved better.

Someone stronger.

Someone to support her.

Someone who wouldn't make her cry...

He stopped in his tracks. Memories of the horrid things he did moments ago came rushing to his head.

The dark circles under her eyes.
The exhausted look on her face.
The glassy look in her eyes, as she tried to hold back her tears.

Oh God. No.

He hurt her.
He betrayed her.
He shut her off.
He was horrible.

Why? Why? Why?

Why did he do that?

Why did he turned away?

Why did he shut her off?

Why did he make her cry?

He looked at the alleyway in front him. A few more turns and a jump over a broken fence would lead to the shady neighborhood he resided over the year. Back to the hellhole where he spent days and nights in sweat and tears.

He recalled the pain and suffering in the past year. The loneliness he felt for not having any form of comfort or familiarity around him. The severe insecurity he had from having his self-esteem affected by an enemy that was now dead. The words that shook him continuously haunting him without fail ; "You're nothing without your powers"

Thinking back, why did he make that decision to torture himself in the first place?

What was he trying to gain?

What did he wanted to prove by staying away from his loved ones and vanishing himself to a dangerous and isolated place?

What was he so afraid of?

The tear he had been trying to hold in betrayed him. It took him just a few minutes to break her heart again.
He separated himself from her for almost a year, all in the name of becoming a better person for his wife.

But he failed. Yet again.

What's wrong with him? When was he going to be free from this conflicting emotions?

Everything he had done this past year seemed useless now.

His ego made him believe that torturing himself and taking drastic measures would solve everything. But at the moment, the darkness indicating that nightfall was arriving bestowed him with realisation.

He wasn't solving anything. He wasn't doing anything. The root of the problem was still here. This excuse he's been using again and again won't justify his actions this past year.

Nothing would justify leaving his wife alone without explanation for a whole year. Nothing could excuse him making her cry just within a few minutes.

He can't go on like this. He had to make this right. He has to redeem himself.

The nearly dark sky signalled nightfall was here. The view was beautiful. However, that was just the surface.
The past year taught him that the night sky shadowed the heinous deeds of dangerous beings.

He was currently on a crossroad. He could march forward towards his one-year hideout, pretend today never happened, and turn a blind eye that someone dear to him may as well be in danger because of him.