Episode Three ~ Part Five

Christopher was an engineer and worked at the town's power plant. He was married for over five years, and falling out of love was the matrimony's demise. He asked for a divorce, and his ex-wife didn't let go quite easily.

She vowed to take everything from him, including Ciara, unless he compensated her with the amount of alimony she saw fit. Not wanting to take their daughter through any more trauma, he gave in.

Chris believed it was the best decision for him and Ciara. He might have been the reason for his ex-wife's lavish living, but as long as she was on the east side of the country, he could sleep well at night.

Mary Jane loved that Chris was a positive person despite going through something so hard. Being a single father was new and scary territory for him. But he was taking it day by day and did his best to make sure the rest of Ciara's upbringing was at least peaceful.

"So, enough about me," Christopher sat closely with Mary Jane on the couch. There were so interested in each other, it's as if they were the only ones at the party. "Tell me about Mary Jane Barrett."

"Hm," Mary Jane didn't know where to start. "Well, I am the third to be adopted by my parents. I was put in the system at two. I don't really remember much of my bio family. I was livin' foster home to foster home until I was six."

"How was that?" like everybody, Chris knew of the things that kids tended to go to being passed around.

"It wasn't awful," Mary Jane thought. "I would definitely say I was one of the lucky ones. I hated movin' so much, but I don't know, I guess God was looking out for me. So much that I ended up here."

"You ever think about searching for your bio parents?"

"Nah," she shook her head. "I'm not really one who likes to dig in the past. I feel like things happen the way they're supposed to. I don't need to meet my bio parents to know who I am. Blood or not, I'm Mary Jane Barett and ain't nothin' ever changin' that."

Christopher shined his perfect smile. "I like that attitude." His phone vibrated in his pocket. It was Ciara.

"It's Ciara. Give me a minute?"

"Of course, yeah," Mary Jane waved her hand nonchalantly.

Chris got up and went to find a quiet place to talk.

Mary Jane cheesed in excitement like a high school girl who had just been asked out by her crush. She locked eyes with Addison, who was talking to Ashton in the corner.

Addy gave her a nod of approval, making her chuckle. Surveying the party, MJ noticed Jaxon across the living room, pretending like he wasn't watching her little sister.

"So, he told you what happened," Addison drank the last of her beer, ignoring Jaxon's gaze as she'd done all night.

"He did," Ashton nodded.

"What are your thoughts?"

"Fewer thoughts, more questions."

"Shoot," Addison was intrigued.

"Did you really think Jax, a man, was gonna save himself for you?"

"Yes, I did," Addison said with no remorse. "He's not just any man. He was my best friend. We told each other everythang and always kept our promises. We have history. It's not like he's some guy I met off the internet or somethin'."

"You're right," Ashton shook his beer bottle. It still had a few swigs left.

Addison leans her shoulder against the wall. "Maybe my expectations were a little too high. I don't know. I was gone for two years. At this point, I just wished he wouldn't have made the promise. It would still hurt me if he was with someone else, but at least I wouldn't be holdin' him to anythang, you know?"