Be Afraid

"Your Majesty, I am so very sorry for your loss."

George's heart felt like it was counting the silences between. He reached out to touch Dream's cheek. He expected warmth.

He got coldness.

George withdrew his hand with a cry, covering his mouth.

The soldier watched with wide eyes as a sorrow filled scream echoed through the castle walls, cursing every statue, every crevice with pure grief.

George threw himself over the limp body, his body shaking in silence.

"Your Majesty?"

"Prepare the army for war."

The soldier felt a shiver run through his spine as he heard George's voice, scary and calculated. No compassion. That warmth went with Dream.

"But your majesty, we can't possibly face against them, their army is 10 times as big-"

"I said to prepare the goddamn ARMY!"

George stood up, wiping tears from his bloodshot eyes.

"Announce to the kingdom that we are at war."

"I'm not sure it's a good idea for the citizens to be afraid, sir."

"Then let them be afraid."

George unsheathed Dream's sword from his blood stained belt. An emerald green stone, the one George had given him that looked just like his eyes, glittered at the hilt. George looked at his reflection in it, and a rage-filled face stared back at him. He wiped his nose with his sleeve, steeling his eyes.

"They should be afraid."

George sheathed Dream's sword in his belt. "Prepare my stallion."

The soldier stepped forward in objection. "Your Highness, I cannot let you put your life in danger!"

"And what are you going to do to stop me?"

George met the soldier's eye, and he stumbled back. Grief and sorrow ached and pained and haunted George's brown eyes. The soldier scurried off.

George turned back to Dream's body one last time. He leaned down, trying not to cry.

"I'll avenge you." George put his hand over Dream's still heart, feeling the ring he had given him in his breast pocket. George exhaled shakily, giving Dream one last kiss on the cheek.

"Goodbye, my knight."

George turned away, his boots clacking against the floor as he walked to the entrance of the castle. He looked over his kingdom, peaceful and serene. He raised Dream's sword, the blade glinting in the blaring sunlight.

"They will learn the anger of a heartbroken king."

—-
Just a little blurb while listening to a playlist. Might do more of these because I'm on a road trip right now.