Chapter 35

I walked out of the building a little while later to see that the Old Man was back and leaning against the walk with his hand out, wanting the money that I owed him.

He didn't move to look in my direction, nor did he try to get the money that I owed him by force. He stayed still and waited patiently, knowing that I would give him what he was due without him having to do anything.

I reached into my basket and pulled out the remainder of the coins that I owed him as well as a little extra. I knew that I didn't have to pay him the extra coins, but I was grateful that he at least believed the male that had the feather.

He didn't move when I dropped the coins into his hands, and I knew that he wanted me to take the extra I had given him back.

I shook my head and put my hand down, not reaching for those coins because they were of no use to me now. "For believing him," I said, "and making sure that I was able to find him."

The old man tried one last time to get me to take the coins before he stuffed them into his pocket. He scowled, and I knew that he was dissatisfied with what I had done but wouldn't say a word.

I dipped my head and looked back at the building where Silan sat, waiting for me to leave and go back to the land of the living. However, I wanted to go back into that room and get Silan to tell me everything and to figure out a plan to save him from those that wanted to harm him and maybe even me.

I didn't want to lose him.

The old man set a barrier between me and the door when I took a step in that direction, and I shivered at the coldness of his magic. He gestured with his staff towards the exit, indicating that it was time for me to leave and go back to the real world that was outside of the shadows.

I huffed but nodded, knowing better than to fight him because I had a feeling he would win, especially because he would be able to push me out of the area if I didn't leave as I should. "Keep an eye on him, please?" I asked, praying that he would while I looked at him. I hated not keeping an eye on him myself, but I knew that it would be more dangerous to us if I did that instead of him.

The old man nodded and again gestured for me to leave. He would watch over Silan and make sure that he would be safe and not harmed by the people that lived here.

"And the one that wears his face," I said instead of leaving like I knew I should. "Watch over him, too." I knew that he could force me to leave the area, but I prayed that he wouldn't; I had to make sure that everything was taken care of before I went on with my life, even though my heart would still be here.

The old man scowled but nodded, indicating that he would watch over the one that wore Silan's face. Again, he gestured with his staff to the exit, gesturing for me to leave.

With a small huff, I nodded. "You know how to find me," I said and turned on my heels and started to walk away from him. "No one else is to know. I don't want them to know that we know. Understood?" I turned to look at him because he never said a word.

The male dipped his head, promising me that no one would know that the Silan they saw was not the real Silan, and the real Silan had been changed for whatever reason.

I jogged and pressed my lips into a thin line. Without another word, I turned around and walked the way that I came, praying that Silan would stay safe.

Gods protect him, I prayed and dipped my head. Please. I can't bear to lose him, not yet.

***

The hair on the back of my neck stood up at attention before I reached the real world, and I shivered as if cold.

I paused and looked down one of the darker alleyways to my left, where I had felt the coldness, putting my hand into the basket to get a knife, not knowing what to do or who was watching me.