Chapter 9

I looked up from what I was doing and frowned. My whole body was tense, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. My breathing became soft and even as I tried to hear something that was out of the ordinary.

However, I couldn't hear anything. There was no rustling of the leaves and no chatter from animals that lived in the bushes. There was only silence, and it was really unnerving. It was as if the whole world was waiting for something to happen, and it couldn't decide what.

Silently, I placed the swords back into my basket and looked around. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, but that didn't mean something didn't change.

Both Rowa and Ren were nowhere to be seen, but I was used to that when I woke up. They usually did something before I had to leave and would walk me back to the castle when it was time for me to leave.

The horse that Caspian had been riding was silent, his ears pricked towards the south. He didn't make a sound, but I could tell that he was interested in something.

I glanced at Caspian to see that he was still asleep while I packed up the rest of my stuff. I made sure to be as silent as possible as I made sure that the fire was put out, and it didn't look like we had been here.

Rowa and Ren came running in from the southwest, and the gelding whickered in greeting. Rowa went over to me while Ren went over to the gelding to shut him up. She had a worried look in her eyes, and I had a feeling that someone else was in the forest.

"What is it?" I asked, my voice soft. "Is someone else in here?"

Rowa nodded her head. She whined and glanced at the sleeping male. She looked back at me and flicked her ears, and I could tell that they were there to collect him.

"Ok," I said, nodding my head. I walked over to him and shook his shoulder. "Wake up," I hissed when he groaned and swatted at me. "You need to get up."

"Leave me alone," he grumbled. "I am sleeping."

"You can sleep later, Your Highness," I said, coldly. "You are being searched for."

Prince Caspian opened his eyes and sat up. He looked around, tiredly, and I could tell that he hadn't gotten that much sleep. "Why am I in the forest?" he asked. "I thought I was in my bed."

"You will be in your bed in a little while," I said, standing. I walked over to my basket and finished packing it up except for the blanket that I had given him. "Guards are searching for you, and I need to disappear."

That seemed to wake him up. He stood and walked over to me, clutching the blanket it. He had no boots on, and I could tell that he was uncomfortable. "Disappear?" he asked, and I nodded. "Where?"

"Around," I replied. I picked up the satchel and placed it on my back with my bow and arrow. "Ren and Rowa will lead you to them. Make sure to stay on your horse and on whatever path they lead you."

"What about you?" Caspian asked. He handed me the blanket, and I nodded in thanks. "Won't you get caught?"

I shook my head. "The Forest won't let them catch me," I said. "I will be fine."

"You make it sound like the forest is a living creature and not a place," Caspian said when I picked up my satchel. "Why?"

I smirked and shook my head. "Because it is," I replied. I looked at my Dire Wolf and horse. "Protect him. Make sure he gets back safely."

My Dire Wolf nodded her head. She nudged me to go before starting to nudge Caspian towards his horse.

"Wait!" Caspian exclaimed, and I paused and looked at him. He ignored Rowa's growl of annoyance. "Will I ever see you again?"

"Maybe," I replied, backing up. "Look through the crowds. You might see me in them." And with that, I turned around and left. I knew that Caspian would be safe with Rowa and Ren watching him, so I wasn't worried about leaving him alone.

I just had to make sure that I was hidden before they found him. I knew that they might try to find me next, and I did not want that at all.

***

I made it to the hole before they had found me, and I thanked the gods. I placed my satchel and basket down on the bed before starting to take off my boots.

It was almost time for me to leave to go back to the kingdom, and I needed to make sure that I had everything ready and was "presentable."

"Waste of time," I muttered. "I wish that they would let us wear pants and boots. It would make our lives easier." I sighed and moved a hand through my hair, looking around the room.

Something blue on the little shrine caught my attention, and I walked over to it.

A blue... egg with silver scratches sat there next to a bag of whatever and my necklace. It started to glow, catching my attention.

Hesitantly, I picked it up and was surprised to feel how light it was. I turned it in around in my hands and noticed that the silver scratches were lines with each of them connecting to the bottom or the top of the egg.

"What is this?" I asked, setting it down where I had found it. I shivered as if the warmth left my body and took a deep breath to stop myself from picking it up. "Why is it here?"

I looked around the shrine and noticed that a note had fallen to the floor. Curiously, I picked it up and started to read it.

Take these as gifts from our clan, Daughter of the Hargen Tribe, it read. Use them well, and never take your necklace off for anyone. It is your key and protection.

I took a deep breath and sighed, putting the letter on the shrine. "So, I guess the Dwarves made this," I muttered. "But, why did they give me these?"

I shook my head and took the necklace from where it laid. "I better not question them," I muttered. "But, I should leave something in return."

I wrapped the egg in the blanket and pouch and placed them on the bottom of the basket, making sure that it didn't get squished nor would anyone find it.

After that, I took out some of the stew that I had made yesterday and placed it on the shrine.

"Thank you," I whispered, touching my gem. "Thank you for giving me back my stone."