Chapter 30

Caspian raised an eyebrow when I said that he was under Ardën's protection. "Protection?" he asked, and I nodded. He cocked his head and furrowed his brows. Confusion was written on his face, and I understood why he was confused because the Elf shouldn't want to protect him because of his father. "How? Why?"

I shrugged. "I don't know," I replied, making a mental note to ask the Elf why Caspian was under his protection. I cocked my head and bit my lip, thinking about something. "I don't think even your brother is under his protection."

"Ardën awaits your questioning," Shilan said, listening to my thoughts. He sounded amused, and I had a feeling it was because I didn't ask him to ask the Elf since they were near each other.

Caspian furrowed his brows. "My brother?" he asked, and I nodded, not even mentally cursing myself for bringing it up. He cocked his head and furrowed his brows further while he thought about what I had said. "What does my brother have to do with this?"

"He knows," I replied. I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat. "He knows about the stuff that is hidden from everyone, such as the Elves, Dwarves, and so forth." I shrugged. "However, he is not allowed to say anything without being in the presence of someone that is in it."

"Such as..?" Caspian cocked his head further to the side and reminded me of a dog, waiting curiously for food. For him, it was for information that I had about a life that he knew so little about.

"Me having a dragon," I replied. I shrugged again and grimaced. "There is other stuff, but I would like to tell you that later, Your Highness." I gave him a look that told him not to push, and he scowled but nodded because he had a feeling I wouldn't tell him.

"If I ask him about anything, will he answer me?" he asked, and I shook my head, no. He scowled and narrowed his eyes, and I could tell that he didn't like his brother not telling him anything. "Why not? I know about this world."

"Sort of," I reminded him, and he scowled because I became technical with him. "You sort of know about this world. There is some stuff that you need to learn about it, and I'll help teach you."

Caspian raised an eyebrow. "You?" he asked, and I nodded. He bit back a snort and folded his arms across his chest. "And what can you teach me?"

"A lot of stuff," I replied. "More than some others that you will meet."

"Considering your background?" he asked, raising his eyebrow higher, and I nodded. "Are all tribes respected?"

"Some," I replied. "Like I said before, there are some tribes respected more than others, and the Hargen Tribe is one of them." I shrugged. "All species respect the Hargen Tribe, which you should already know because the Dwarves were bowing at my feet and asking for forgiveness."

Caspian nodded and stayed silent while he thought of something else to ask me. "Why did my guard leave me?" he asked. "He never left me alone with someone before, so I am wondering why he left me with you."

"Because he trusted me and knew that I would look after you and made sure that you are safe," I said. I leaned back in my seat and studied him, silently wondering if Caspian would be able to tell why his guard had left him with me.

Caspian furrowed his brows and cocked his head. He looked down, and I could tell that his mind was working on overdrive before he looked at me. Confusion was written on his face, and I had a feeling that I needed to give him a couple more hints before he would be able to get it. "He doesn't know you, though," he said. "Why would he trust you?"

I shrugged. "I don't know," I replied and earned a scowl from him. "Maybe he knows something that not a lot of people know?" I gave him a pointed look and earned a blank stare back. "Maybe he isn't what he seems to be?"

"Are you saying that he isn't human?" Caspian asked, and I nodded. He furrowed his brows and cocked his head. "What is he then?" he asked. "Why does he live in the kingdom when he isn't human? Does my father know that he isn't human?"

I shook my head, no. "He doesn't know that your guard isn't human," I replied. "If he did, then your guard would be killed."

Slowly, the prince nodded and thought about what I had said. He looked down before a thought occurred to him, and he looked up, meeting my gaze again. "How do you know that he isn't human?" he asked. He cocked his head and studied me. "What is your secret?"

I sighed and shifted in my seat. "I did catch a glimpse of you during the parade after your safe arrival back to the kingdom," I said, and he raised an eyebrow. "I was in the crowds trying to get somewhere. You weren't paying attention and were looking down at your horse."

Caspian, slowly, nodded his head but stayed silent. He wanted me to continue but knew better than to push. He knew that I would answer his question, especially the one about his guard.

"Your guard had his eyes on me, and I looked up to meet his gaze. I was surprised when I saw him because I didn't know that someone like him would be positioned with you, especially since he is not human.

He slowly nodded, and I could tell that he was still confused. "Why was he looking at you?" Caspian asked.

"Because he saw this," I said. I pulled the necklace that he had given me from under my shirt, and Caspian stared at it before he looked at me. "Elves can see what other Elves had made," I said, and realization dawned on Caspian's face.

"So are you saying..."

I nodded in confirmation. "Your personal guard is an Elf, and he is also a member of the High King's clan."