Chapter 12

"Are... you bored with my company?" the man beside me asked. He didn't sound angry, but I could tell that he was a bit annoyed with my behavior.

I closed my eyes and sighed, feeling frustrated. "I have some business to attend to," I replied coldly. "My business is none of your business, Ären, so I hope you don't try to read my mind." My voice was soft when I called him "Elf-Master" in their tongue. I knew that names had power and knew better than to say them out loud, especially in a place that didn't like people that were different.

The Ären stiffened and looked at me. There was a scowl on his face, and I knew that he was studying me. "How did you know?" he asked, his voice soft and accusing like.

I gave him a weird look. "I am part of the Hargen Tribe by blood." I took a sip of my drink and cleared my throat. "I should know."

The Ären set his jaw but didn't say a word when Charles walked over with a loaf of bread.

"Can you warn him that I will be leaving soon?" I asked. "Without giving him his stuff."

Charles raised an eyebrow and smirked. He knew that I would leave and not come back for a day. "Did the parade really throw you off that much?" he asked, and I narrowed my eyes in warning.

"Don't," I warned, narrowing my eyes further.

Charles studied me before nodding his head. "I'll tell him. Are you sure you don't want to go home and sleep? You look tired."

I scowled. "Just go tell him," I said, and he chuckled and walked away.

"He's going to be pissed that you are pulling him away from his meeting," he said, and I looked at him. "Are you sure you want him to say that?"

"Yes," I replied, nodding my head. I stretched a bit and sighed.

"I know him. He'll yell at you if leave and take him away from a meeting."

I took a sip of my water and pursed my lip. "Well, he won't yell at me," I said. "He knows that I have to get home and help my mother take care of my siblings."

"Why doesn't your father do that?" he asked, and I stiffened.

"He's dead," I replied coldly. "He left behind ten children, which I take care of. Jonah has watched me take care of them, so of course, he will not be mad at me for leaving early."

The Ären frowned but nodded. He didn't say a word as one of the workers brought out some food for us.

"Charles said for you to eat and then go meet Jonah," he said. "He was told by Jonah."

I scowled and nodded my head. "Does he know that I'm going to be late?"

The worker, a young boy named Josh, nodded his head. "Yes," he replied. "He says that you are already late. He's sending me to your house to tell your mother."

I nodded my head. "Wait," I said. I reached into my basket and pulled out my satchel as well as everything that my mother needed. "I don't want you to be outside with all of this," I warned. "Take the back way."

Josh froze and stared at me with wide eyes. His face grew white because the back way was dangerous, far dangerous for a young boy like him. "Bu-" He shut his mouth when I raised my hand.

"You will be safe as long as you don't talk to anyone," I replied. I paused and cocked my head. "There is only one person that you can talk to," I added. I took one of the noodles and made a symbol with it. "The guy that has this symbol on his wrist is the only one that you can talk to. He'll get you safely to my house."

"Why can't I just take the normal way?" he asked, nervously. "I mean, this is dangerous."

"Because carrying this stuff is more dangerous out there than it is in the back," I replied. I took out a small feather chain and tossed it onto the table. "Take that. It'll show the people that are there that you mean no harm to them, and you are under my protection."

"But... Charles doesn't want me to go in that direction," Josh said.

"I know," I replied, removing the mark from the table and started to shuffle in my basket, making sure to keep the egg hidden. "And, I hate sending you that way. However, it seems to me that I am stuck here for a little while longer because of information that I do not want people to know." I paused in my searching and glared at the Ären, and he backed away from me. "And I need answers."

Josh hesitated but nodded his head. "Will he know the way?"

"He should," I replied, getting what I needed and pulling out the coins that I had tossed into the basket. I placed them on the counter and pushed them towards him. "For your troubles."

Josh stared at the coins, his hand hovering over my bag. He hesitated and shook his head. "I can't take those," he said, his voice soft. "You and your family need them more. Your mother has more kids than mine."

I shook my head. "It doesn't matter," I replied. "I will be able to handle it. I have done it before. Take them."

Josh hesitated but nodded his head. He took the coins and placed them in his pocket before taking the feather and the satchel. "If I get into trouble..."

"Then, I'll deal with them," I replied, leaning back in my seat. I watched him put the feather on my satchel and nodded my head in approval. "No one will mess with you as long as you are under my protection. If they do, then they know that there will be hell to pay."

The Ären shifted in his seat and stared at me curiously. "And, how so?" he asked, and I looked at him. "How do they know that there will be hell to pay?"

"Because," I replied, taking a sip of my drink, "this isn't the first time I had to send someone via the back way. The first time, some people messed with my messenger, and they almost lost a finger because of it. The next time, they knew better than to mess with anyone that I send."

"If they do?"

"Then they know that I will make their life a living hell."