iii. the gears of time

AS SOON AS MORI DISAPPEARED INTO THE TOWER, REN STARTED TO CLIMB

She knew he'd seen her on the bridge, which meant he'd come looking for her. Sure enough, she'd barely reached the narrow ledge above the clock face before she heard Mori call her name.

"Ren?"

Somewhere, a bird chirruped. Wind howled into the silence. Ren crouched behind the low parapet, waiting as he called her name a few more times. She could guess what he'd wanted to talk to her about. The concern in his voice was unmistakeable.

At last, she heard his footsteps recede back into the tower.

She slumped against the stone with a sigh. She hated leaving him in the lurch like this, but Mori was resourceful. He'd sort something out. The defect in the tower was small, but he took it seriously regardless. It was something she'd noticed when they'd first met — that quiet, understated dedication. Arkos was in good hands with him.

The thought made her smile, just for a second. She couldn't remember the last time her mind had been at ease, not since the cataclysm. But knowing Mori was around to take care of the tower brought some relief to her soul. Once she'd sorted out everything in the higher system, and with someone responsible like him looking after the tower, maybe finally — finally — she could relax...

She snorted a laugh. Peace of mind would be too good for her.

She stood up and closed her eyes to the wind. Cool breeze threaded through her hair, whispered in her ears. She didn't have time to relax like this. Not while Suria was still out there, looking for the winding key that unlocked the universe. Now she knew Mori was attending to the defect, she had no reason to be here. But she allowed herself this minute of respite, letting the wind carry her worries from her chest for a few seconds longer.

One day, she'd be able to explain everything to him, and hope that he could forgive her. But for now, she couldn't let Mori rely on her. Arkos was his responsibility. She still had her own to uphold.

And the less she had to do with another clock tower, the better.