xii. strings

MORNING CAME IN A BLANKET OF PALE CLOUDS, TINGED WITH MILKY SUNLIGHT.

After an hour of poking around what felt like the entirety of the Tower of Storms, Mori finally found Argent on the flat roof of one of the turrets overlooking the city. He leaned against the sandstone balustrade that separated them from the dizzying drop from high up on the tower, through the smogto the streets of Dysis.

Mori came to join him at the railing. This high up, the morning light cast a yellowish haze over the surroundings, giving the buildings a rare warmth. It felt like another secret of the world, another angle where the city shed its ugly façade and revealed a gentler side.

"I spoke to Ren," Mori said.

"Oh?" Argent didn't look away from the city. Wind swayed his pale hair around his face. "Did she tell you anything?"

"Not much," Mori said, with a sigh. She'd been evasive when he'd first broached the question, then dropped the conversation entirely once he'd let slip Argent wanted to know. He could tell there was some tension between the two, even with Ren's detachment and Argent's casual teasing, but Mori had still been surprised at her outright refusal. Mori supposed he should have expected it — he could count on one hand the times Ren had given him a straight, immediate answer to a question.

"Don't worry about it," Argent said. "I'm sure I'll find out eventually."

Mori glanced at him. There was something subdued, almost distant, about him today — a little like Ren when she had something on her mind. Mori wondered what had gotten him into that mood.

Argent looked over. "I made a timepiece for you."

"For me?" Mori said. "What does it do?"

"Here," Argent said, an odd smile on his face. "I'll show you."

He wound it up and let it run. The timepiece ticked quietly, but nothing happened.

Mori waited a few seconds, head tilted. "Is it working?"

"I guess not. That's a pity." Argent pushed off the balcony and moved towards him. "Anyway, I have a favour to ask you."

Something in his tone set Mori on edge. Mori met his eyes. There was a strange glint to his expression that Mori didn't like. On instinct, he tried to back away, but found he couldn't. His feet were planted to the ground.

His chest tightened, a chill running over his skin. "What did you do?"

Mori's eyes flicked down to the timepiece in Argent's hand and he froze.

He didn't—

"Oh, I guess it's working after all." Argent looked up at Mori and smiled. With a sick feeling in his stomach, Mori realised Ren was right not to trust him. He'd seen this happen before, back in the warehouse. Acting friendly to lower the man's guard, then stealing his memory. Yesterday in the tower, when Mori had just started to feel like he was safe, Argent had just been doing the same thing with him.

Mori matched his stare, keeping his gaze hard so Argent wouldn't see the fear running beneath it. "What do you want?"

"Nothing much. I just need the timepiece the traveller gave you."

"I don't have it," Mori said. He tugged at his feet again. Still nothing. "Ask Ren."

Argent laughed. "Believe me, I wouldn't be doing this if I thought Ren would let me use it," Argent replied. "I don't know if you've noticed, but Ren and I aren't on the best of terms."

"For good reason, apparently," Mori muttered.

"You're absolutely right. She's already annoyed at me for stealing her horologion." Argent looked sidelong at Mori. "But she trusts you. You might not even have to steal it if you ask nicely."