Chapter 8

A/N -- Hello all! This is @CadencePigeon, I'm going to be continuing the book if this chapter goes well. (Please let me know if there's something in my writing I could do better in the comments!) I've read all the comments and it seems that people want more romance, and that's where I specialize! It may take me about three chapters to get to the romance part fully, of course, but Greenroni23 and I thank you for your continuous support of the book! Now, enough of my rambling, onto the long-awaited chapter 8!

=========================================================

"Apple, stay strong and be kind, even if the whole world is going against you..."

My parents' last words echoed throughout every corner of my brain. 

I had always tried to be strong, and kind. But I've always been hurt. The men in my new pack had already begun to be misogynistic assholes like Mattew and Luke. 

They had treated me like I was worthless, just a maid and a cook who cleaned every spill and cooked every meal, without a "thanks".

I have to leave, I can't take this again. I won't. 

Am I a coward for running away again? I don't know. But I need to be alone. I'm meant to be alone. 

I don't need a mate. My children are ready to be on their own, I can leave, and for the first time, be free. 

This time, I didn't leave a note, not for the men at least, only the children. I took all that I could carry, left a note next to each of my children as they slept, and gave them each an equal inheritance of little over a million dollars each. 

"Be strong and stay kind, my beautiful ones." I wrote. 

With that, Sugar and I quietly left in the silent night. 

I rode her through the windy, cold forest. Shiny fluffy snow devoured the land. I saw in the distance a large rock, with a small opening to what looked like a cave. 

I looked down to Sugar and she looked up at me. She gave me a slight nod as she read my thoughts, affirming that was to be our place for shelter tonight. 

I lit a small fire to keep us warm and we ate some bird I hunted after I set the fire. 

It was a small bird, I couldn't tell which kind it was, but it was enough to keep me and Sugar full, thankfully. 

After a few more days of Sugar and I wandering about the forest looking for...

Well, I'm not quite sure what we were looking for.

Maybe I was looking for food, or somewhere to build a small home... or maybe, secretly, at the back of my mind, a mate.

I pushed the thought away of a mate. 

But, secretly, I wanted one. 

I didn't need one, but I wanted one. 

Someone who respects me, for the most part. But also loves me, takes care of me, cares about me

But who was I kidding?

I can do that all myself. 

As I got sucked into the thoughts of my own brain, I was slammed back into my body as I heard a low growl. 

"Rogue wolves"  I thought.

Sugar tried to run fast but a wolf jumped in front of her. As we came to a screeching halt, more wolves began to circle around us. I held my hand up and a blinding blue orb sat in my hand. 

"Go ahead!" I screamed at one of them. I looked to the one who jumped in front of us, obviously the alpha. I could tell by his size and how every other wolf stood at a lower stance.