Chapter 12: Bertia (17 years old)[2]

“…I love yellow. Particularly the one with a hue similar to the calming color of milk tea, I just love it. Moreover, I also love the blue color that’s similar to the clear night sky.”

So she says, and right now, she’s wearing a dress with a color that really resembles my hair and the antidote necklace I gave her resembling the color of my eyes, which she lovingly stroked with her free hand.

Aah, as expected, she is…

As I thought to myself, I exhaled the breath I had unconsciously been holding.

“…But, that’s exactly why I don’t want to wear them to the place where the [downfall] will happen. Such precious colors… Colors packed with lots of beloved memories… I don’t want sad memories to paint over them.”

I felt my stomach dropping.

And again, it’s as I thought.

…Why are you trying to stay away from me so stubbornly?

“Hey, Tia. If it’s really that sad, then what if we just don’t do the [downfall]?”

I pulled her hand that was grasping tightly onto the necklace that I gave her towards me, and covered it with my other hand.

I bundled both of her hands and gently wrapped them up in both of my mine before I spoke in a soft tone to admonish her consciousness.

I noticed that her eyes that looked back at me in surprise were quivering as if in turmoil.

However, the core that existed deep inside her quivering eyes contained the look of determination that didn’t waver the slightest bit.

“That’s impossible. After all, I really want Cecil-sama to be happy. I want you and everyone else to be happy.”

A bitter feeling filled my heart as she bit her lips tightly.

“If you think that way, then could you tell me the reason why others and I can’t be happy unless the [downfall] is accomplished? Even if you couldn’t find a method on your own other than achieving the [downfall], perhaps the two of us might be able to find a better method?”

Especially in Bertia’s case, even though she’s superior in terms of her studies, she’s devastatingly poor at things like sensing the feelings or schemes of other people, keeping an eye on the situation and staying one step ahead of the other party to lead things in a favorable direction for herself.

Her strategy relies on her nerves and the methods are at a level that can’t even be called strategies.

Fortunately, she was blessed with talented people surrounding her and she was quite popular, too. So, I thought that as long as I securely follow up for her, she’d manage somehow as the future queen. But in terms of the issue of her personal abilities, she would probably be classified as an [idiot].

Even though she told me, “there is no other way,” she’s not very persuasive.

There’s a high possibility that there is a better method, but she just hasn’t realized it because she is an [idiot].

…If she’d only just tell me what important information she has hidden within her heart.

Though I think so, Bertia obstinately wouldn’t confess about the thing related to that matter alone.