Chapter 19:

“If it’s now… you can still change things, can’t you? Hey, I’m begging you. Choose Heronia! At this rate, Heronia will only be sad and feel bitter.”

His actual age should be far older than me, but looking at his youthful appearance as he was appealing with his teary eyes brought a little pain to my chest… no, I don’t feel any pain.

I didn’t really feel compassion towards the enemy who hurt my Bertia and who tried to snatch Bertia away from me.

It might be considered coldhearted to others, but these are my true feelings.

Though I’ve gradually come to understand that thing called emotion and there’ve been a couple of [exceptions], nevertheless, my true nature is still to be lacking in emotion.

The illusion that the light spirit created allowed me to come to this realization.

As well as the importance and loveliness of the unique existence who let me experience such [exceptions]…

“I’m sorry, but it’s impossible. After all, I dislike her. Originally, she was a [stranger that I have no interest in], but you two have repeatedly done foolish things in order to snatch Bertia away from me, haven’t you? This is the situation that you two have caused on your own.”

I answered with a smile.

The light spirit opened his originally large eyes even wider at my words.

“Why? Why?! I mean, Heronia said so. That you are Heronia’s destined person. And that’s why it’s a matter of course that you’d come to like her. Even in the scene that I showed earlier, although there were a few additions, but in the first place it was the prophesized future that I created based on Heronia’s memories, you know? Even though Heronia was just doing her best to guide you onto the correct future!!”

The light spirit who couldn’t accept the reality cried, “This is weird,” as if he was throwing a tantrum.

He looks so foolish… and pitiful.

“No matter how hard you tried, I was quite pleased with Bertia by the time I met you, so it’s very unlikely that things would change in the future. And that’s only to begin with, but don’t you think the direction of your endeavors couldn’t be more mistaken? If you hurt someone in order to grant your own desires, you will definitely provoke someone’s anger and hatred. Who do you think would like someone who’s repeatedly speaks and acts selfishly when their wishes don’t come true? I won’t say anything about having to defeat the opponent for your own wishes. After all, it’s a necessary thing to do in order to procure the one and only position. However, if you want to defeat someone, you don’t do it by scorning your opponent, but you should work hard so that you can stand one step ahead of your opponent. Isn’t that right?”

In order to grant her own wishes, Bertia also kept repeating her (useless) endeavors.

You could say that she and Baroness Heronia are a bit similar in that sense.

However, there is a big difference between her and Baroness Heronia.

Even while saying [I want to become a first-class villainess!], Bertia had never hurt her opponent in the literal meaning.